Urgent help needed I'm a noob!!

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Gary Roebuck, 12 Jul 2011.

1. Gary Roebuck

Gary Roebuck

I'm a noob!!! I have a 120 ltr tank with a +-60 ltr sump complete with skimmer and bio-balls(?). i have a sand base with about 20% capacity being live rock. i have five flourescent lamps in the lid, 2 of which are ultrviolet. i'm about a month into this n did my first water change last week(20 ltr). after about 2 weeks i added some fish food to help 'cycle' my tank, i had the water tested weekly n didn't see much of anything spike. week 3 i added 'Stability' each day for a week. i was then advised to add 2 dominoes. a week later added 2 fire gobbies which the damsels took appart! then added 2 yellow bellies n just just managed to save their souls before the dominoes killed them too. in a rush to appease my son i added an anemone n 2 tomato clowns. yesterday i brought a coral beauty and a blenny home...? i'm sure all u learned ppl r now gasping in horror...!!! SORRY! I DIDN'T KNOW THIS FORUM EXISTED UNTIL ABOUT 4 HOURS AGO!! IF ONLY...! everything looked healthy last night n this morning when i left, although the 1 clown was showing a bit of white spot. i'm also using 'snow' as advised by a friend. i'll load up some pics tomorrow as advised..
    thanks again guys.. i'm a bit overwhelmed by the responses!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

WOW... The only advice I have now is RUN!!! :eek:

Just kidding...

First: Take the nennie back to the LFS or give it to someone with an established tank to look after...

Second: Take the coral beauty back or give it to someone to look after... (it's too pretty to die)

Third: Wait for advice from someone who's not a newbie like you... :biggrin:

That's what I would do...

4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2:...how long has the Tank been Cycling..? Anemone only gets added roughly when a Tank is 9 months stable...then not to even mention the fact that you have to Nennie-safe your Tank...I'm sure the guys will help you out...I'm to new at this to give any constructive input...welcome again to MASA:)

5. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Ill stop adding marine snow. with such a new tank the snow will just add to the nutrients. i strongly suggest to find a temp home for the nennie. Its not gonna make it as your tanks parameters are not stable at all. get rid of the damsels. swop em for something else. damsels are the devils children, They beautiful but real terrors. you need to slow down. dont add anything to your setup. ill do a water change but also try not to shock your live stock too much and stress em even further. make sure salinity and the temp is exactly the same as the water in your setup. Have you tested your water lately. Please tell us your parameters. your po4,no3,no2, salinity.

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to the forum, a couple of mistakes but now that you're here the guys can help you and guide you in the right direction. :)

First thing you need to do is get rid of those domino damsels and kick whoever advised you to get them.

7. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

@Gary Roebuck ...hey dude,welcome to masa.... 1stly,the lfs guy who assisted you should be shot lol... Unless u didn tell him ur new to the hobby.....but as the guys an gals said above,this is the place to be, so b4 making any new moves,consult with MASA,we all here to help as far as we possibly can..... So no rush,please follow the advice wisely, carry out as much as possible with what was said above an don't worry,you in good hands over here, goodluck and post lotsa pics

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

AND SHOT AGAIN :lol::lol:

You wil be alright. A few changes and youll be on your way to an amazing setup.:thumbup: You shouldnt go back to the shop that sold you all those things unless you wanna kick his @#$%##:lol: We all made mistakes. I made alot. and by that I mean alot of expensive ones. Just read and know what you want before going into a lfs to buy something. It will save you some moolah and unpacking your tank to catch the fish thats destroying your tank. Before you will know it you will be on the right track. Maybe even try selling the nennie on the forum if the lfs doesnt want to take it back. But please post some pics of the live stock and give us some of your water tests results. We can give you alot better advice then. Remember we are here to help you.

9. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

Welcome.....and YOH :) EISH....
    Advise 1:
    panick slowly...take a deep breath, the worse is almost over, dead fish....
    Advise 2:
    Hurry and wait....move live stock to a "buddy" tank thats established and can sustain your livestock. Then wait for further advise.
    Advise 3:
    verify if filtration system is setup correctly and working efficiently...post lotsa pics of your system so that we can have a good look and make better informed decisions and advise.
    Advise 4:
    Analyse the water parameters...purchase test kits for Nitrate(N03), pH, Alkalinity(dKH), Magnesium(Mg), Calcium(Ca)
    Test them all and
    Advise 5:
    Dose, dose dose and wait....

and...listen mostly to VIPER and take note from the rest of us(sorry boyz....protocol, VIPER357 being the most experienced amongst all of us that jumped to help)

Lastly, reply with what you have done thus far as soon as you've done it :)

Last edited: 12 Jul 2011
  10. zayd

zayd

It appears to me that the tank has not cycled properly. Please test nitrite, nitrate and ammonia and let in know.

Recent Posts