Illumina Cloud Programming

Discussion in 'The Serious Reefer' started by Jamie@Vertex, 31 Aug 2012.

1. Jamie@Vertex

Jamie@Vertex

I want to explain some of the basics involved with the Cloud-Storm simulation programms for the Illumina. The settings are made in your DeskTop software on the Special Settings page. You cannot programm this section without the V-Link.

This is a random programm, which means you cannot select the time a cloud will occur. Essentially, no two clouds will be exactly alike.

Average Clouds Per Day: what it says, but this is a 24 hour period, thus some clouds will occur under Moonlight! If you are thinking in terms of 4 clouds on a typical daylight period, then set it at 8!

Maximum Dim Out: this designates the maximum reduction percentage in relation to the actuall percentage running as the programm kicks in. As a cloud in nature is not constantly dark, this intensity will fluctuate during the cloud run period. Very natural.

Maximum Cloud Duration: again, what it says. The maximum any given cloud will last. They may be shorter.

Lightning Probability for a Cloud: again, what it says. If you always want some lightning, set it at 100%. No lightning, then 0%.

Average Lightnings per Cloud sets the maximum lightning strike on a random basis.

Wave: this is a bit more complicated. A Wave is the walk of the pads in a dimming run. If set to one, then the pads will dim one after the other with the second pad starting its dim when the first is completed. If you set this at 2, the second pad will start dimming when the first is 50% through its dimming. Set at 4, then the second will start when the first is at 25% dimmed, third when the first is at 50%, fourth when the first is at 75%. This allows a dynamic control over the light intensity change in a Wave.

I am often asked, are these usefull functions or is this just a gimmik? No, this is not a gimmik. In nature the sun intensity fluctuates randomly during the day, as does the moonlight during the night. This allows us to get one step closer to nature. A coral that gets a 10 minute rest from intense light will actually gain in photosynthetic efficiency. On a reef, most corals spend a large portion of the day in photo inhibition. It has been studied and determined that this photoinhibition has a negative cost on the general coral household. When corals come out of this inhibition they use this time to repair damaged tissues incurred by the period of photoinhibition . Although we would rarely place a coral under such conditions in our aquariums (I have seen it too often, though!), this cycle is a part of the corals metabolism. Fluctuating light intensity.

The Wave function allow a daylight cycle to closer mimic the sun transit. If you select a 6 hour period and change the intensity across the transit, you come closer to what happens in nature. The corals will recieve different intensities from all side over the day. This results in a better pigment distribution and development, as well as a more natural growth form. It is a bit of fine tuning. Particularly effective on longer tanks. It is very attractive, as well.

OK, the lightning is more for us! I know of no studies on this subject, still, it is fun.

I hope this clear some questions,

Jamie

Last edited: 31 Aug 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fires

Fires

Thanx Jamie for that info. Will play with mine as see if I come right...

4. Quintin

Quintin

Yea man.
    Have mine set like that and works super. :thumbup:

5. Fires

Fires

Jip me two... Works Lekker !!!:)

6. Andreas

Andreas

Thanks for sharing Jamie! Very useful info :thumbup:

Recent Posts