I'll be damned .... I found Nemo

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by pch356, 30 Jun 2013.

1. pch356

pch356

Early in January 2013 upon returning from holiday, I found that one of my two Ocellaris Clownfish have gone missing without any trace. The guy that looked after my tank while I was gone, also did not see a dead clown fish floating around. I was quite baffeled and eventually came to the conclusion that he must have died and that the clean-up crew did their job to leave no trace behind.

I built two overflow units to get the water from the tank to the sump with a catchment box for each overflow outside behind the tank. For the syphon to work the catchment box must be half full - about two liters of water.

The catchment box is made of a slightly transparent plastic and one cannot clearly see through it. Earlier this evening while doing my bi-weekly check of the syphon boxes I saw something moving in the other catchment box. At first I thought that I my eyes were deceiving me. Upon investigation I could make out through the frosted plastic of the catchment box that it was a clown fish swimming around in there.

I checked my tank, as I thought that it was the clown fish still left, that tried to escape, but he was there swimming happily in his little "ocean". I just had to call my wife to come and see this because there was the missing clown fish swimming in the catchment box almost 6 months after it has gone missing.:thumbup:

It was healthy, but much smaller and paler around the cheeks than it's mate. I immediately turned off the tank's lights an reintroduced him to the main tank again. I was afraid that his mate would attack him, as he is now much smaller, but they teamed up as if nothing has happened and carried on swimming together as in the good ole days.

I figured out that he must have been living on the few small pieces of pieces of flaked food that floated into the overflow during feeding times, and a huge amount of luck.

How he got there still keeps me guessing.:whistling:

Well..... Miracles do happen and this is proof of it.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

thats great to hear....my sixline goes over every now and again, and my mandarin has just done the same...time i sorted the water slide out:)

great to hear they are back together as a pair

4. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Fantastic!

I have a blind watchman goby living in my sump with skimmer!
    If I put him in DT he goes back to sump!

5. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Hi this is fabulous news.:)

6. Hails

Hails

It's great that you found the little guy :thumbup: Occasionally certain fish bury themselves in the sand too and are a mission to find. Guess we've all had that one fish that's the best at hide and seek.

7. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I had the same experience with my bi-colour blenny. Also thought he was dead and after a few weeks found him in one of the overflow boxes. Perfectly healthy.

8. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer

This hobby seems to come with more surprises every day!

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I found my lawnmover blennie after 3 months in my overflow box.

10. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

And this is why everyone should have a protected overflow (and tank cover). :p

Recent Posts