If you had to choose JUST ONE reactor. . . which would it be?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by ZaxXx, 27 Oct 2010.

1. ZaxXx

ZaxXx

Due to space issue and finance issue. . . mostly finance issue lol. I need to decide on just one reactor.
    So which wiil be the ONE i absolutely have to have???
    Just one tho

If you had to choose JUST ONE reactor. . . which would it be?
    Hmmmmmmmm:032:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. scubaninja

scubaninja

You dont need any. Just use a filter sock or something with your carbon/media/whatever in a place of decent flow. Problem solved.

4. Smithers

Smithers

Calcium Reactor.

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i would say phos and carbon, calcuim can be added manually.. cal reactors are not completley necessary but a nice thing to have :)

6. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Yup IOM this is the order to acquire reactors.

1) Phos reactor
    2) Kalk stirrer
    3) calcium reactor
    4) carbon/other media reactor
    5) Nitrate reactor

7. JD167

JD167

I think it depends on the needs of your tank. Phos, carbon and kalk reactors are easy and inexpensive enough to DIY. More fun to make your own also.

If you need to fork out some cash on a reactor then I'd say Calcium reactor.

8. Manic

Manic Moderator

Never used phosphate or carbon reactors but I do run my carbon in my zeo reactor. If I were to pick one it would be a calcium reactor, it is the best thing I have ever bought. It is really expensive though and only really needed for sps.

9. ZaxXx

ZaxXx Thread Starter

Ahhhh awsome :)

So i guess il go for a calcium reactor when the time and moola comes

The reason i posted this tread was because i heard you have to let kalk drip into the tank over a 6-9 hour period and only the dissolved kalk. . . is this true? and if so why??
    . . . i was under the impression that the only way to get his done was with a kalk reactor.

10. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

a calcium reactor produces calcuim carbonate but in its production co2 is used to dissolve the aragonite/hydrocarbonate media so this process depresses/lowers ph, hence a cal reactor being run during daytime for best results

a kalkstitter is used to add kalk. calcuim hydroxide which has a high ph (12) si its better to add at night when the ph is naturally at its lowest and small amounts at a time so using a slow feeding auto top up is the answer

ussing the 2 of these in conjunnsction with one another equal out the ph.. hence it is recomended that they be used as a system

i see many members running the one or the other and only a few people running both.. im not sure of theur results but i9ts actually a system tahts should be carefully researched (as with anything in this game) before implemented..

11. Suhayl

Suhayl

A phosphate reacter would be the number one choice. Than a kalk stirrer to help with some calcium. Only the experianced reef keeper should be messing with a cal reacter. You could wipe your tank out, also goes for the kalk stirrer. You can get away with carbon inside a bag in a haigh flow area in the sump. I would personaly just use the phosphate reacter,run carbon in a bag. You can do try the light balling method. Simple is always better.

12. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

You can use both carbon and phosphate remover in the same reactor, or one of those freshwater canister filters, or you can DIY 2 separate reactors using those freshwater vacuum thingies with sponges inside them. Or just use your girlfriends old stockings and hang the stuff in the sump, not ideal but better than nothing. For kalk just use the slurry method, no need to drip.

There are many ways to do things in this hobby and it does not have to be expensive. I'm a cheap skate and and always look for the cheapest way to do something. ;) You could even use PVC pipe for the reactors, or make a square one out of glass, they really do not need to be round.

Do a lot of searching and reading, ask lots of questions and you will find many different ways to do things cheaply and alternatively.

13. ZaxXx

ZaxXx Thread Starter

Niiiiiiice nice. Glad i bumped into you because im also ALWAYS looking for the cheapest way out;):thumbup: lol
    . . . so you say just mixing kalk in a cup and dunking the whole lot is fine?

14. viper357

Almost, it's called the slurry method. Mix 2 teaspoons of kalk into 2 litres of RO water then pour it slowly into a high flow area of your sump, depending on your calcium needs/use, determined by a good quality calcium test kit.

15. poiromaniax

poiromaniax MASA Contributor

I wouldnt run carbon and P04 remover in the same reactor, reason being: You have to change carbon more frequently than P04 media, so the constant opening and closing, plus finding a way to keep the media separate, isnt worth it. rather run the P04 in the reactor and carbon in a filter bag in the sump

16. ZaxXx

ZaxXx Thread Starter

Thanks viper:). . .
    Tank is only a week old so far and i still gonna put more new live rock in it, so i can still go slow with all stuff meanwhile isnt?

17. viper357

Yeah, good couple of months yet before you need to worry about any of this. If you're lucky you may not even need phosphate remover, I haven't run it for probably a year now, but then I am lucky and do not have a phosphate issue in my tank. Kalk, not really needed until you have some hard corals in there, but it is nice to to use to help maintain calcium, alkalinity and it also helps to remove phosphates as it precipitates it out of solution making it unavailable for algae. Be careful though with kalk as over-dosage can wipe out your entire tank.

18. ZaxXx

ZaxXx Thread Starter

Thanks got it... I'l get into all those things after my complete cycle then.
    Thanks again Viper really appreciat yourls advice and time

19. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

phos reactor

Recent Posts