If you had access to live foods.....

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Midnight Reefer, 17 Feb 2014.

1. Midnight Reefer

Midnight Reefer

Just curious what reefkeepers would do if they had the following supply of live;

1: Rotifers

2: Nannochloropsis or W3

3: Brine shrimpies, hatched daily (Artemia, or 'armetia' for retards.....)

4: Mysid

a) What can you feed coral and how/why would you?

b) Is it better to enrich and then freeze, to feed as a powder? (exclude mysids)

c) Is it effective to be extremely scientific and follow the complicated procedure described as 'just gooi'? hoping they feed something regardless of photoperiod or flow configuration? This works for mysid and paly's actually.....

d) Would they propagate over the long term in a refugium if again, the 'gooi in' technique is used? supplementing the 'nightly plankton dance'?

e) Of course you would start a culture for yourself, but why? and how? (exclude mysids again and making money)

One conclusion already reached is; adult brine shrimp are crap nutrition wise, but perform witchcraft regarding provoking feeding responses from fish, inverts and coral when frozen and then fed. Dunno why......

And yes, everyone wants to raise clownfish.....but what would you do with 100s of captive raised clownfish? make a public exhibit?............:)

Nemo exhibit.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

my inmates would be so happy...:thumbup:

4. Snoek

Snoek

Wouter when can I come collect?

5. Midnight Reefer

Midnight Reefer Thread Starter

@Snoek I'm afraid I am not a supplier of live foods, nor do I have free access to any. Sorry bud :(

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. Snoek

Snoek

Is there no mysis at the aquarium?

7. Midnight Reefer

Well there is, for our seahorses mainly.

We do not culture them by any means.

We have really really super special access to the harbour with extremely sophisticated lab stuff and meshes and lights and titanium.

Seriously now, I have mentioned this on MASA several times, we get our mysid from the harbours of cape town during the early hours of the morning.

We rely on a natural resource! Sometimes the harbour is utterly swarming with them, which is also when I go to wrangle box jellies. But sometimes we are so desperate, we need to send a collection team to deep-dive and catch a spit-full.

We use;

1) a 25mm pvc pipe, about 1-2 meters long. It must be blue and really awesome!

2) a green fishnet, usually used for super to non-aggressive goldfish. Usually has a green handle made from adamantium like Wolverine.

You stuff the handle of the net into the end of the pvc tube. Now you have a state-of-the-art mysid catcher!

Early and cold mornings, calm water conditions and a shit load of luck is required

8. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Awesome Wouter nice thread. I still believe live food is best for our coral & fish. Especially phyto aka nanochloropsis never had w3 before. But with rotifer and mysis and tiger pods the LS would look & be healthier also live food will encourage breeding.
    Actually miss my cultures. Will have to go past the research centre hopefully I can get some.

Last edited: 17 Feb 2014
  9. Midnight Reefer

I'm still not getting answers?

Would you dump some nanno and rotifer into your tank regardless? Or excite corals with something like cyclop-eeze, and then blast with live food? ...........evening or night feed I was hoping to hear!

and thank you @MistaOrange
    Culturing is a very labour intensive process

10. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

@Snoek when you pick up your pump ill give you some nanno

11. jclaas

jclaas

If you decide to take this route make sure rotifer/brine shrimp culture water does not enter your water column unless you are certain that it has non toxic levels of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and bacteria.

This water is capable of turning your aquarium water milky within a few hours.

Last edited: 18 Feb 2014
  12. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Yes but not hard work pretty easy if you know what you doing...;)

Recent Posts