Idiot of the month

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I am voting myself idoit of the month!

I keep telling people I am not a technical person, but they don't get it.
My head is in deep molecular, I can do the bacterial "engine", but all other mechanical stuff is above me...

To put you in hte picture. I buy n nice pump, 6800l/h. No plug. So since i know I am no technical. Google plug change and do it. Do not trust all you see on google.
Brown is live, not round (as the site suggested). So I managed to trip my power three times my plugging in my new pump with newly attached plug. Only to find out later that Brown is live and yellow/green is ground. Luckily I had the blue one right :whistling:

So just to try my luck I corrtect my mistake and try my pump again. IT STILL WORKS. Yeah.

Then water dianmics seems to be my second short coming... If you put two big pumps on, make sure your drain can handle it... I put my 5000l/h and 6800l/h pumps on. All great. Plumbong doesn't leak. My U installed on the drain is nice an silent.
Then the house power thrips again. Oi vay!!

This time the water level kept climbing while I sat admeiring my handy work. Until it reached my lights. I few blue sparks and all power gone.

Luck on m side again. After drying the globes and modifying my drain to allow for the extra water flow I tried the light and all other equioment. All still in good working order :thumbup:

I think the angel on my shoulder has grey hair by now...and might not survive my Marine aquirium learning curve...

Reaction score
:lol:
I'm actaully a really good shot. Just can't seem to aim at live stuff...don't have the heart.

Let's just hope I survive salt water and electricity...

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
:lol:
I'm actaully a really good shot. Just can't seem to aim at live stuff...don't have the heart.

Let's just hope I survive salt water and electricity...

Salt water and electricity usually mix VERY well, wear rubber boots next time.:)

Reaction score
:biglaugh:...........:oops:..............:biglaugh:

thats why the ballast's broke, still need to give it to ferdie, his gone for the weekend

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Yep, there is nothing like a good jolt to remind you to be careful with electricity, when i had nmy flood i had soaking wet hands as i tried to switch off the pump (that was spraying all over my leather 3 piece suite) so i got a really good belt - it didn't help to lighten the mood.:lol:

459b

Reaction score
i made the same mistake with the outlet. was filling my tank via the sump and couldnt work out why i was adding so much more water than i had calculated. Thankfully the tank had alot of head space, so it wasnt too much of an issue. Ended up adding an extra 40 litres (tank was meant to be 350l) to get the tank circulating properly.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Don't you worry LappiesReef! You just experienced ANOTHER one of "us marine newbie" learning curves! Congrats in getting it right in the end!

That means you are at least open-minded and stubborn enough to work through the issues! And did not "just give up"!!!

Good on you mate!

Reaction score
It was touch and go there for a sec, but my Nano keeps me motivated ;)

I'm starting the water swops like Wee-Man suggested and hopefully the two tanks will be ready to merge by the weekend or early next week.

I also drew my saving and will buy a T5 pendant next. A 54 watt with 4 tubes....

Next adventure will be to get a continues phytoculture/filter going :p

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
How do you do that?

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
Phytoculture, always wanted to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
It is very similar to hatching brine shrimp. There is a thread here somewhere...

You basically bubble air through a green water culture that is lit from the back...
You have a few of these in a row so you can start harvesting form one side and build cultures down the line.

The trick I want is to get a continues one going...

Reaction score
Ha ha christian... you'll be surprised at how many people don't know the colours of a plug!! just ask a few people and see the results you get... glad everything still works!!

Reaction score
:biglaugh::biglaugh:School of hard knocks, teaches those subjects that we normally do not wish to forget

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Geez lappies, you're a bit of a dangerous dude :lol:

Here is an easy way of remembering the wiring on a plug:

Brown - Br = Bottom right
Blue - Bl = Bottom left
Then yellow/green goes into the top pin.