identify?

Johan van Aardt

I love marines [R.I.P.]
Reaction score
About two weeks into the start of my tank these started growing it seems to only be on hi flow area, i am running phosphate remover and activated carbon, Are these bad or good?

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Green hair algae, good and bad :p

Good for food for certain inverts and fish and bad when it takes over your tank. Usually part of a cycle, but can be fed by detritis in the rock.

Reaction score
Be careful, this can be the first signs of hell to come. If it starts producing rapidly, find the source of the nutrients and erractic.

Johan van Aardt

I love marines [R.I.P.]
Reaction score
I am running Phosphate remover im even running a bit more than what is meant for my tank so dont think thats it, what could the other sources be and how should I get rid of it

Johan van Aardt

I love marines [R.I.P.]
Reaction score
its now 4 weeks going on 5, it only a 50 liter so only small fish for the tank

Reaction score
Johan,

Irrespective whether its Bryopsis or GHA , the guys are correct in saying you need to take heed.

I can tell you from my own experience that I initially left the algae , since my tank (60 liter) was still cycling. It has gotten much worse though over the last month or so and ridding the tank of this stuff is turning out to be a nightmare.

Even if you are running PO4 remover it is still possible for GHA to grow and grow rapidly. The algae locks down the nitrates & Phosphates before it has time to leach into the water. Hence your test kit may not pick up anything abnormal insofar PO4 and NO3 are concerned.

How is the flow in your tank ? Do you have any deadspots where detritus can accumulate on either the rocks or the substrate?

Do this test: Take a turkeybaster or powerhead and blow onto the rocks. If you see a white smoky cloud of dust come off the rocks, it means that there is hidden detritus on the rock. This is fuelling the GHA .

If this is the case , you need to be diligent in removing this detritus on an almost daily basis.

It is also possible that the tank is still transitioning and that the water parameters are not stable as yet. GHA , Bryopsis , Cyano and diatoms are all part of the cycle before the tank stabilises.

But... rather safe than sorry. Keep a very close eye on the algae growth.

BTW: Using a fish or CUC to solve the algae problem is not the right way to go. You will merely be treating the symptom and not resolving the root cause.

Just a thought ;)