Identification of marine fish caught on our coast

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by spentacle, 18 Feb 2009.

1. spentacle

spentacle

I was just wondering if there is a website that shows you what fish are being caught along our coast. i live in East London and am often down on the rocks catching fish for my tank. I have always wondered what species we actually catch along our shores. I have heard stories of guys catching powder blue surgeons and even the odd imperator angelfish. Just trying to find out if anyone knows of a website or database on the net.Thought maybe this would interest some people around east london and maybe elsewhere

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Darryl

Darryl

It's true. Powder blue surgeons as well as Emperor angelfish are caught....amounst other things. A "local" database might be a problem, but there are definitely "international" databases.

There are a lot of pretty good books to look at...(TWO OCEANS, A guide to the marine life of southern Africa) and ( The common sea fishers of south Africa).

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

5. spentacle

spentacle Thread Starter

true but apparently there is a database of fish caught around here used for scientific research or something like that. Wouldnt mind get the link for that

6. Darryl

Darryl

7. spentacle

spentacle Thread Starter

will check out those links you gave me to threads of fish being caught this season.

8. spentacle

spentacle Thread Starter

my reason for asking this is that i started catching fish and keeping fish when i was 12 years old and stopped when i was about 16. I have know recently started up again and i cant remember the different fish and what they look like. for example i ended up with three riegers this season thinking i one was a vaggy. The books that were mentioned earlier in this thread are good but i am catching juveniles mostly and its sometimes very difficult to identify a juvinile fish to a picture in a book. Or maybe my eyesight aint good

9. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

If you looking for a book. Get the books by Dennis King. There are 2 volumes with all/most fish that are found in our local waters. It also shows both, adult and juvenile pics.

10. spentacle

spentacle Thread Starter

will give that try gonna have to order them online none of the book stores or petshops here have them thanks +

11. Darryl

Darryl

That is true!

Post a photo on this blog and you will get a positive ID.;)

12. spentacle

spentacle Thread Starter

thats a good idea next one i catch and im not sure of i will post see what answers we get probably gonna go for a dive this afternoon so maybe will have some photo's to post

Recent Posts