Ideal Water Temp?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Pieter Kriel, 19 Mar 2013.

1. Pieter Kriel

Pieter Kriel

To all the experts out there.
    What is the ideal temperature in a marine tank.... Yes i know it is 25 dc.
    In these days the price of electricity is as bad as petrol.
    So i was thinking instead of running the heater and chiller on and of the hole time thru the computer controlled system why not go to more natural temperature control.
    Let the tank cool of during night time to 24 dc and when the lights come on let it heat up to 26 dc an if more than that let the chiller take other.
    I mean in the ocean the water temp isn't a perfect 25 dc...
    So what is your view on that.
    Regards
    Pieter

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

You live where? How cold does it get there in the winter? Think about it you don't want your tank to fluctuate too much & if the temp drops to 1c or less outside don't you think the temp will drop inside?

Just a thought

4. trad

trad Fish, thats the word!

no the ocean would not drop 2 degree's at night and gain 2 degree during the day. Consistency is the key. Fan much more effecient thana chiller, even the fan on may Radions keeps the tank cool.

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

The temp fluctuates all the time on the reefs. Depends on the current. I have known the temp to change as much as 5 degrees within a dive.

6. Trasique

Trasique tahir

and some reefs are exposed to direct sun during spring tides, 30+ degrees i would think

7. King_Triton

King_Triton

Hi There,

Just to but in....

My current tank (first marine tank btw) which I started end of Jan, increased at a time right up to 31 degrees. :whistling: This was the max that i saw. It varied from 26 degrees up to 31 degrees with natural temperatures daily. The temperature still has not dropped to 25 degrees, except for the one or two chilly days or nights we experienced.

so my house is closed up, but windows left open while i'm at work, and just last week, it started to drop to the 27 degree mark. This is with the heaters off, and its 1200lx60wx60h and with the sump around 280L. So far i have not had any issues, accept for hectic evaporation. I do not use a chiller, however built the top the other day and did put in fans. They're aren't connected as yet.

So from what I observed with my tank, temperature fluctuation is handled quiet well by the system and its inhabitants. I think its linked more to how rapidly the temperature fluctuates. When it starts getting colder, I will switch on both heaters and keep my fans running( not so much to cool but to help with air exchange).

Another thing to remember is that your heaters "switch on" automatically when they need to in order to keep the temperature constant. so the power it is consuming is not constant.

I might be talking shit here.. so experts out there, feel free to correct me :blush:

8. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

on that note i have known water temps to change from luke warm to freezing cold in a space of a half an hour or when we get a southerly wind here in EL. (obviously we dont have tropical corals etc here) our coast has a close shelf and the southerly creates an upwelling of cold water and im talking freezing...

9. Pieter Kriel

Pieter Kriel Thread Starter

To all that replied, thanks for the time you took to answer.
    The question was: Will a two degree fluctuation be acceptable in a marine tank, not where do i stay.
    To King Triton thanks for your input. This tell me that a two degree fluctuation will not be problematic over a day and night span.
    For you what is still wondering i am from Centurion, Pretoria, South Africa.

Please if any one can give constructive input on this thread please do so.

Regards
    Pieter

10. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Firstly, Welcome to MASA Pieter. I trust you will find your stay with us informative.

Secondly:
    You mentioned that you do not want to make use of heater & chiller continuously, but rather try to simulate natural temperature shifts.

The area where you stay does have relevance to your statement, as you did not mention that you will only do it for certain times of the year. Which means that you would have to look at your location temp when looking into this. Inland guys tend to have difficulty in winter with cold, whereas coastal people have to look into controlling / curbing their temp in summer.

From there @MistaOrange's questions.

Thirdly:
    I have a nano that run no cooling other than two small fans during lights on (on same timer), and tank temp is at 25.4 - 25.6, and during night time, Temp falls to about 24.7. Heater is set to kick in at 24 degC. In summer, I have yet to see the heater in action, whilst in winter, I change the heater to 25deg C, and it is on more often than not...

Lastly:
    "Please if any one can give constructive input on this thread please do so"
    You will find the occasional odd, off-topic comment in a post. When you spend enough time on MASA, you will learn whom to take seriously, and when. Expect this from time to time, and take it in your stride.:blush:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

If your livestock all comes out of rockpools, yes then you can take the fluctuations. The rockpools overheat twice a day and as high tide comes in, they are rapidly cooled.

But I really doubt if LPS corals would tolerate this, as well as any deeper water fishes.

Stability is after all the key in keeping a system successfully.

And yes, as mentioned your location will have an impact on the answers. But another question is the size of your system, what internal pumps do you have and what lights do you run?
    These extra questions do seems irrelevant to some.

Lights, like Metal Halides do heat the tank a lot more than LEDS.

Internal pumps do give off heat into the tank.

System size, how much water is there to absorb the heat from lights and pumps?

Canopy? or open top?

12. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Before this thread go's south.
    As I understood it. Pieter wanted to know if temperature fluctuation is OK if left to the natural fluctuation of the external environment.

It was stated that the temp does not fluctuate between day and night on the natural reef. The data often available refers to " average" temperature fluctuation and not actual fluctuation. Don't want to derail this thread further and go into this.

As for the aquarium natural temp swing, I have not had issues. In fact, one of the biggest brand of chillers has a 2 degree hysteresis. Heaters have a similar, if not greater hysteresis.

One can limit the total hysteresis from the chiller and heater by setting a aquarium controller. Some controllers allow for the set points to vary in temp from a preset temp curve.

Hope this is not OT and explains for all.

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Will the same 2 degrees difference apply to deeper water fish and LPS?
    And without any heater or chillers in place, how will you know that the 2 degrees did not became 3 or 4? Now we are moving into winter, so what the fluctuation is today will not be what you will get in 2 months from today.

If I'm not home for a week, my whole house do eventually heats up, and do become more and more humid. So being away for a week, how will I know that a system without anything in place will not go too hot or too cold? Must still see what my system will do in my new place this winter.

Since I moved over to LEDS, my system do run cooler, that makes a difference. A lot more stable and constant.

By the way, I'm also in Centurion.

14. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Some computer controllers have the ability to set temperature trends. I assume that Pieter is asking how to set up the aquarium controller to minimise the carbon foot print.

The answer is simply that a temp variance of 2 to 3 degrees is acceptable. And is not detrimental to "Most" marine inhabitants. As long as the average temp does not vary to extremes. IMO

Recent Posts