Ideal water temp.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by magman, 1 Sep 2009.

1. magman

magman

What is the ideal water temp for mixed reef, and also what is the max sort of to run. I would think 25 and inmates would start sweating. I know FO and you could go a bit higher, but other wise what is ideal, and what is too warm?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

IMO 24 - 26 is ideal...

Just remember that most species can survice much lower than this (much stretching only one or two degrees though ;)) as long as it is not a SUDDEN drop in Temp...

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi MagMan! This depends completely what lifestock you are keeping, and where they are from.

I have SCUBA dived southern Mozambique and Sodwana reefs, where the water temp averaged 28/29 degrees celsius - on the reef!

I have SCUBA dived the Seychelles reefs as well - where the water temp was 34 degrees ON THE REEF!

And then, on the other extreme - I have SCUBA dived Aliwal Shoal, and Protea Reef (southern KZN), in the winter-time, and the water temps was 17 degrees below the thermo-cline (on the reef)......

I believe strongly that water temps in nature, has an impact on the fish's and invertebrates' lives......

That they detect certain cycles in the month/year, and in their lives, based upon the lunar cycles, the currents, the surges, and water temperature.....

Nothing in the sea is really 100% perfectly the same - ever. It's a constantly changing environment.
    You have your days when the sea water is absolutely devout of ANY nutrients - then you have your times when the nutrients in the water is very high.....

5. magman

magman Thread Starter

Cheers Jaco,

I am running my chiller at 23, will change to 26. I don't want to overstress the chiller in summer in Rbay, and it packs up

6. magman

magman Thread Starter

Cheers Jacques, those are extreme ranges, I think I will run at 26-27.

7. jacquesb

MagMan - it's cool running a decent chiller. BUT, just ensure that you have enough "room for error". This means that IF something does happen, that the temperature does not shoot up to past 30 degrees in a very short period of time, or alternatively, drop to ie 19 too quickly either.....

8. Pugsly

Pugsly

I have a chiller installed and set to 25 deg.

I have checked during winter and summer where I have switched off the chiller - the max my tank has ever gone to is 28 deg c on very hot days in summer, and on very cold days in winter has only ever dropped to 24. I must add that it took nearly 3 days to reach the 28 in summer, and in winter it took 3 days to drop to 24.

All these tests were done while running my lights as normal, and all other equipment as it usually does. so from my side it is good then.

Only big problem that could come up is if the chiller get stuck in the on position and cools the water way to much!

All my fish seem happy with the 25 deg temp. they seem a little more tired when the temp is on the 28 deg mark over a few days (as in they don't swim around as much and just chill in and around the rock work) and they don't eat as much either.

Just my 2c of what I have observed.

9. jacquesb

Pugsley - I think that you mention something very important here.

Lighting - huge metal halides (and any metal halides), and/or a close top, could also have an impact on the water temperature of the water......

10. magman

magman Thread Starter

It's spring day, and the temp here in Rbay is 31, I checked the forecast on my phone, and tommorow is 33, think I need a couple more chillers lol

11. Pugsly

Pugsly

chillers as in :peroni::peroni::peroni::peroni:
    THATS THE BEST ADVICE EVER

12. Pugsly

Pugsly

Yes Jacques - I hace two pc fans in my hood - one positioned to blow air into the hood and one that "exhausts" air out of the hood - keeps things rather cool in there too.

But to add to this my test I did a while back was prior to me installing these fans - only put the fans in to help save the chiller a little.

I used a old power supply from a broken pc, and bought to fans and hooked them up. the unit switches on with the timer for the lights!

13. brentnorm

brentnorm

I have always kept my tank at 27. I was told that was optimal. Suppose its like salinity. Everyone has there happy medium.

14. dv8

dv8

IMHO i would say 24 to 25. but would also say that the most important thing is stability, fare enough you can have extreme temparatures in nature , but those temparatures are reached at a more gradual rate of change. i would imagine a sudden change(3/4/5) degree would make your inhabitance unhappy. on an interesting side note, i was told that if i pushed the temparature in my tank up a few degree (over a few days) my clowns may start to breed.

so interesting question, i'll be tagging allong

15. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

Hi Guy's I look after a number of tanks and Generally run them at 25 degree's some systems run with Aquatronica and stay between 24.8 & 25.2 Others system with out this change alot more 25 To 26.1
    The most important thing is that the temprature is stable the less change in temprature the better. It is possible to run tanks at a higher temprature's the problem I have with this is that the metobulisim of the fish is a lot higher, there is less disolved oxygen in the water and if something goes wrong you have less time to respond.

16. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

I agree fully with ADVdiver, choose a temp between 25 and 27 and try keep it as constant as possible, consistency is the key here.

17. brentnorm

brentnorm

So you saying if mine is between 26.8 and 27.2 I should be fine ?

18. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

No problem at all. Will need some sort of controlling device to keep it that stable though.

19. brentnorm

brentnorm

Strangely enough in winter those are my parameters but I struggle to keep it stable in summer.

20. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

As do most hobbyist. Most chillers have a switching point of one degree as do heaters. A Controlling system helps maintain this with a delta min & max being set at 0.2 degree's and only switches the required device on when its needed. Safeties can also be set.

21. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Some years ago, Dr. Ron Shimek showed data that the highest number of coral growth (bio diversity) occured in regions where the water temperature ranged between 28°C and 29°C (if I remember correctly...)

It is my contention, however, that the fish density on those ocean reefs (and all others...) are MUCH less than that in our aquariums. As most aquarists know, the oxygen content of water drops as the temperature increase, and if one were to keep an abnormally high fish density (as compared to the real ocean), the fish would probably suffocate, or at least struggle to breath, if the water circulation in the tank was stopped at such high temperatures. Tropical reef fish are easily adaptable, and quite comfortable, at a water temperature range from about 23°C - 28°C, as long as the temperature remains stable within a degree or two within this range.

Although corals thrive at 29°C, they will start to bleach if the water temperature increases past 30°C - 32°C (depending on various other factors, such as light intensity, gas exchange rate, etc.) One would thus be "pushing the limit" at this temperature, and should only do so under seriously controlled conditions, and only if there is compelling need to.

I am of the opinion that one should follow the "middle road" between the above extremes. I personally keep my tank's water temperature set to 26°C in winter, and increase it to 27°C in summer. My heaters and chiller, controlled by an industrial temperature controller, keep the water temperature range within ±1.0°C of the set temperature - the range is thus 25°C - 27°C in winter, and 26°C - 28°C in summer. (I don't mind pushing the upper temperature slightly, as I have an uninterruptable emergency power supply on my system which gives me 3 hours minimum battery-driven backup power, and a generator for longer power outages. My tank is also mature, and is very lightly stocked with only 7 fish in a 1200 liter, 1.8m system...

Hennie

Recent Posts