Ideal Temp

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by XV3, 6 Feb 2010.

1. XV3

XV3

So what is the ideal temp for a reef tank, there are so many people saying and claiming various things, I came across this :

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/aquariummaintenancecare/a/reeftanktemp.htm

"With so many recommended temperatures, what is the best temperature for your reef tank? Perhaps the best way to make a decision is to look at what the temperatures were when your corals were in the wild. If you look at Coral Reef Regions in the World, you will see where corals grow in the wild. If you compare this to the indicated temperatures in NOAA's Sea Surface Temperatures, you will see that a vast majority of coral reefs are found where water temperatures are between 80°F and 89°F."

And then onto this

http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/earth/Water/images/ocean_temp.html&edu=high

And then todays temps,

[​IMG]

So I think that will answer some of the questions but I think we should probably get down to where most of SA's corals come from exactly ?, Hope there will be some experienced importers or sellers here that could shed some light on that ?:please:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

Between 25 and 27 degrees IMO

4. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

We have been debating this topic for many years...

My take:

What's true in nature is not always what's best in a captive ecosystem (your aquarium), and would also depend on the type of aquarium, and the type (and number) of inhabitants. It is an undisputed fact that the largest coral bio-diversity occur at a temperature of between 28°C and 29.5°C. However, (to state the obvious), the volume of water around the coral reefs is vast, and this makes the conditions very stable. Water flow on a real reef is also orders of magnitude more than in any aquarium. The combination of the above two facts result in a constant, and uninterrupted supply of oxygen to all the life forms in/on the reefs.

As you probably know, water's capacity for dissolved oxygen decreases with increasing temperature. On a real reef, the combination of water volume and flow ensures a constant supply of oxygen to all the life forms - in our aquaria this is not the case, and keeping the tank at the higher temperature limit would result in a severe lack of oxygen for the inhabitants.

Our tanks are stocked at a vastly higher bio-load than the real reefs, which results in the average tank having a much higher oxygen demand than would be the case on a real reef - this again results in our tanks being generally oxygen-poor. Combining the lower oxygen carrying capacity of warmer water with the unnaturally high stocking levels of our tanks is just asking for trouble - just ask anyone who has had a wipe-out an hour (or less) after a power failure...

Given the above, I would suggest that one ignores the impressive temperature charts and whatnon, and settle for the time-proven compromise temperature of 25°C - 27°C, with the lower temperature preferable for a heavily stocked tank.

Hennie

5. XV3

XV3 Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply, and yes, this topic has been discussed over and over for many years as you suggested, the facts you also state are the very same that I read on many articles and forums, so that I totally agree on.

Is there any way that a person can increase oxygen in an aquarium in general, as I am planning to try and keep my temp at a 26 hopefully constant, would that be a problem ? because obviously the heater would warm it to 27 and then the chiller to 25.5 again and so on.

6. Warr7207

Warr7207

More flow or airstones

7. XV3

XV3 Thread Starter

ok, I think the flow will work for me, now I need to figure out which pumps will suit me better, any suggestions ? will be for a 4 footer.

8. Warr7207

Warr7207

Pumps for what ?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Increase surface agitation, don't use cover glass on the tank or sump, Ensure the room is adequately ventilated, and place the skimmer's air intake outside (pipe in the air...). all of this still won't increase the dissolved O2 above the capacity of the water, at any given temperature, though at 27°C you should be fine if the tank is not heavily loaded.

Perhaps you had better start a new post, giving ALL the details of your tank, your level of experience, and most importantly, what you eventually want to achieve with this tank (SPS, mixed reef, FOWLER, etc.) Also, what equipment you currently have, and details of your tank (e.g. do you have a sump...).

It is impossible to advise someone without specific details of that person's setup and future plans...

Hennie

10. XV3

XV3 Thread Starter

Thank you guys for the reply's, I will make a new thread regarding this and get all my ducks in a row, thank you once again.

Warr, for surface agitation, but let me put the goodies I have in a new thread and take it form there.

Recent Posts