Ideal tank dimensions?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by RocketRooster, 3 Jan 2013.

1. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

The practicalities of space, placement, power usage, etc aside, what makes for the nicest tank sizes? I'm specifically referring to the ratios between w, l and h. I've had more than one person tell me that width (ie from front to rear) is much more important than length, and that deeper is better. But how deep is too deep before it becomes a pain to build, reinforce, access and get enough light down?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I'm not sure on W and L but I've decided a height of water about 600 to be perfect...:)..for me I must add...

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

well if i break my tank down, the reef section is 1600x1000x600 which for me leaves a great balance in the lights i can use, flow, and water volume...
    having numerous tanks i can say that back to front depth gives the tank a great balance of space, rockwork and swimming room, my 1200x800x500 was perfect, i upgraded to incorporate all my nanos etc into one large tank

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Well, it depends on the persons needs.

Primary factors are:
    Budget
    Space
    Lifestyle / Husbandry
    all play a role. So the ideal tank will be different, depending on your requirements.

6. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

The most common size is 1.5 x 600 x 600
    It is a fantastic size and will give you a idea if you want to go bigger or smaller.

7. CarlosF

CarlosF

my 1200x800x600 is the perfect size can have the fish i like and not to bad on maintanince either

8. vatso

vatso

I don't think it's about size but rather about how well the tank is kept a lot can be done in a small tank can look great some smaller tanks are really awesome!

for me the least important is height I will not go higher then 710 trying to scape in a 1 meter deep tank is a nightmare and just not worth the pain.

9. pkc

pkc

Two tanks at 3 by 2 by 2 on a 6 foot stand against each other and run both off one system.

One tank for inverts and the other for fish and life that is not conducive to corals.

Keep high lighting needy corals up high and LEDs that will do nicely, all with one chiller as well.

A NWMsystem to keep the waters all good and that’s what I would do.

10. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

900 x 800 x 500.
    As dallas mentioned, its important to consider flow and lighting. With the movement towards LED, most units will cover this area damn well. Even if you go with T5, this will be great for a 6 x 39W.
    Also a nice size for flow, as three mp 40's or tunze 6105's will cover the tank nicely.
    Scaping is easy to access and you wont blow the budget. Another bonus is that in can be made viewable from 3 sides.
    And of course, it wont blow the budget.
    At the end of the day, it largely depends on what you want to keep and of course what you can afford.

11. ccwilke

ccwilke Majestic Pets Solutions Sponsor

Sounds like a size tank I would love

12. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Very close to what I have decided would be an ideal size...regardless of "external factors"..:blush:...and I've come to the conclusion that 800 x 800 x 600 would do it for me...:blush:

13. Rossi

Rossi

I always believe to build a tank around the size equipment you can afford. Eg; the biggest skimmer you can afford will show you a rating and then you can build your dimensions around the amount of litres your skimmer rated for. I always believe that the equipment is the most important purchase, as its the life support of your tank!

14. RocketRooster

RocketRooster Thread Starter

^^ good point!

15. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

My perfect size tank would be 1200mm x 1200mm x 600mm if you have the space.

16. SApicoreef

SApicoreef

I like my 650 x 650 x 500 cube but my dream size would be 2000 x 2000 x 500 but it would be a million rand tank will all the gizmos etc. i mean I would need 16 radions which is 160k just for if hits and the tank would probably be 100 k as I would want rimless

All depends what you want

17. vatso

vatso

And the other stuff that comes into play such as Water Changes and the chemicals one needs to keep corals and fish happy and healthy

Recent Posts