ID possible parasite?

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by ascheff, 22 Nov 2014.

1. ascheff

ascheff

I need help IDing something I think is a parasite.

I bought a new fish today, a Court Jester Goby. It was in the LFS tank for 3 weeks. I adjusted my QT salinity to match the bag's water, acclimated it and then added the fish. He wasn't really active but seemed fine otherwise most of the afternoon. At 18h00 the power went out for two hours, and when it came back on the fish was dead :(

Next to it was the thing in the video. Did this kill the fish, or did it just leave the fish when it died? The fish was small, maybe 25 or 30mm long, and this thing about 20mm across with the mass in the center about 5mm across.

I'm sure it came from the fish, because my QT was set up in the week, after I disinfected it last weekend. This was the second fish in 2 weeks I've lost within 12 hours after I brought it home.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Wowzer! That might be an anemone, or something from the Cnidarian family. @Lord_Blackadder, @dallasg. I have never seen something like that. Did you have any flow in the tank while the power was out, O2 is limited in salt water and surface aggitation is needed to keep your CO2/O2 exchange at optimum level? pH drops really quickly as soon as the O2 drops, and many fish first die of a drop in pH as well as a drop in O2.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
    dallasg likes this.
  4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

As @carlosdeandrade mentioned, ph and o2 are the factors we have to worry about, salinty is not as important, as a note always make salinity less or equal for acclamation.
    Now as for that parasite it looks like a teeming mass of intestinal worms but i have no idea, do you still have it?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Most likely a Spaghetti worm.

Normally the body is in the sand, and tentacles are above, sweeping about for food. The ones I had was more brown.

6. ascheff

ascheff Thread Starter

No, nothing. I don't have any backup power as I'm waiting for inverter stock which will hopefully be here on Wednesday, if they get the model I need (holding thumbs). But that will only cover my display tank anyway. I had a R100 battery operated air pump in my hand yesterday at the LFS, but left it as I thought 2 hours wouldn't matter. Lesson learnt. R100 airpump < fish life.

I tested ph in both the bag and my QT during during acclimation, as I was ready to adjust that, but they were the same already (8.2). As for the power outage, both could have dropped then, and I didn't think to test ph when the power came back on.

I've got tons of those Spaghetti worms in my display, in the sand and rocks, but my QT has no substrate, only a few PVC fittings and heater and internal filter, all disinfected before filling (1:10 bleach for 24 hours, rinse, tap water + Prime for 24 hours, rinse, salt water + Prime for 3 days), and a rock with coral skeleton, which was out in the sun for a few weeks. The "tentacles" on this was a lot more "flowing" than the tentacles on the worms in my display too.

Only after getting rid of it I realised someone might have wanted to have a better look at it. I was a bit pissed off at it, so I gave it some ParaGuard:

Honestly, I have now lost more fish than I actually have alive, so I'm starting to question if I should get any more. It breaks my heart to think these fish are taken from the reef, flown around the world, just to die in my tank. I have three fish in my tank, all doing well (well, one in a bully and is currently separated, but that's a frustration for a another conversation), and I have lots of crustaceans and quite a few corals all doing great and growing well.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  7. ascheff

ascheff Thread Starter

I disinfected because I also lost a fish last weekend, overnight after adding it to the QT. That one also had what looked like an intestinal worm, first hanging out of it while still alive and in the tank after it died. That was one long string, more white and a bit more "zig-zaggy", and not moving.

8. dallasg

what did you disinfect with?

9. ascheff

ascheff Thread Starter

Bleach diluted 1:10 which I let sit for 24 hours, rinsed, then tap water and Prime double dosage with pump running for 24 hours, rinsed, then salt water and Prime normal dosage for 3 days.

The power was out again and just came back on after 2 hours. Out of interest I quickly tested ph, and it was still at 8.2. Only difference is that the heater was off the whole day, so it was 2° cooler than yesterday when the outage started.

Last edited: 23 Nov 2014
  10. dallasg

then i feel it was bad livestock, i am not sure which lfs you got it from but have all these fish that died come from them?

11. ascheff

ascheff Thread Starter

No, from different LFS

12. dallasg

without really testing for heavy metals etc, i would guess this was down to shock etc

13. ascheff

ascheff Thread Starter

Just wish I knew exactly what went wrong, so I don't have a repeat.

14. ascheff

ascheff Thread Starter

I guess it could have been more than one thing too - a combination of parasite, and catch and travel stress, and acclimation shock.

Recent Posts