ID please

Reaction score
What is it? Is it desirable/pest. I like it.

IMG_20180204_123143.jpg

I didn't mean the aptasia, those buggers grow like weeds, any suggestions on how to get rid of them other than removing them physically.

The brown anemone looking guys are the pest I would like to get rid of, I was hoping for more info on the green and brown coral. Thanks for your patience viper

Last edited:
The brown anemone looking guys are the pest I would like to get rid of, I was hoping for more info on the green and brown coral. Thanks for your patience viper

I assume you are reffering to the zoanthids? They are a very desirable and a great beginner soft coral that comes in many awesome colours and grow well in most tanks...spread easily, but do not sting and overgrow other corals which is a good thing. :D

Here is a little more info for you...

http://www.madhattersreef.com/caring-for-zoanthids/

I appreciate the info, the aptasia needs to go ASAP. Looks like the best way is manually one at a time.

I would not remove them manually. They release spores if threatened and thus multiplying very quickly. Chemically Aptasia X works great and then you get fish that eats aptasia like aptasia eating file fish, Copperband (if you are lucky) etc.

If you can remove the LR from the DT then you can remove them manually otherwise I would not try it.

Last edited:
I appreciate the info, the aptasia needs to go ASAP. Looks like the best way is manually one at a time.

Peppermint shrimps are great at killing aptaisia and are a nice little shrimp to have in ones tank.

The thing to remember with aptaisia is you need to inject it with the desired item, be it kalk, lemon juice, aptaisia X directly into the oral cavity and cover it completely before the aptaisia releases spores into the water column, which it does if it’s life is at threat...this is when they can reach plague proportions.

I would not remove them manually. They release spores if threatened and thus multiplying very quickly. Chemically Aptasia X works great and then you get fish that eats aptasia like aptasia eating file fish, Copperband (if you are lucky) etc.

If you can remove the LR from the DT then you can remove them manually otherwise I would not try it.

I wouldn’t recommend those fish for taking out aptaisia...neither are a sure fire cure...the file fish can also start to nip other corals and livestock...as for the CBB, I don’t feel they are a fish one should ever put in your system unless it is very large and mature as they rarely take prepared foods...someone that is new to the hobby especially should not be trying to keep a CBB.

Back
Top Bottom