ID please

Reaction score
Hey.

My girlfriend found this in her tank to night. i haven't seen it so cant comment.
Please could someone tell me what it is and if its good or bad.

Thanks
51748fcdf1a1c092.jpg

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Fris5 - any clues? does it move? is that a shell/legs/mouth etc, perhaps a clearer pic would help.

Reaction score
yes it moves like a slug.. its white underneath and has a mouth underneath and u can c it actuali licking the glass.. then on top its rounded.. its a greeny colour with like light blue lines and has tentical things all over its top.. and wen theres disturbance in the water its back opens up like a lady bug opens its wings and its white with 2brown lines on either side.. Sorry about the pic.

Reaction score
Does it have a type of a flat shell with a white line on it?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
yes it moves like a slug.. its white underneath and has a mouth underneath and u can c it actuali licking the glass.. then on top its rounded.. its a greeny colour with like light blue lines and has tentical things all over its top.. and wen theres disturbance in the water its back opens up like a lady bug opens its wings and its white with 2brown lines on either side.. Sorry about the pic.
sounds like a type of shield limpet or chiton, more than likely harmless (reefwise) have a little google.

Reaction score
Not too sure on the exact name but i've got 3 in my tank and they're absolutely reef safe..

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
If he says it looks like the back opens like a ladybird opens its wings, could it not be a small/baby cowry(cowrie?) of some sorts? They got that manle that they pull over their shell from the sides. Let's hear what the other guys think ;)

Reaction score
Hey Mike, I went to go look now and I can't see them anywhere. I'll post a pic as soon as I see them.:)

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
If he says it looks like the back opens like a ladybird opens its wings, could it not be a small/baby cowry of some sorts? They got that manle that they pull over their shell from the sides. Let's hear what the other guys think ;)
I know them as shield limpets, but we do live on different continents:lol:

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I know them as shield limpets, but we do live on different continents:lol:
Yeah, everything works as it should over there
0002014C.gif

I'll go check what different names they give in my book - didn't know that :p