ID please

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by whipper, 21 Jul 2015.

1. whipper

whipper

Hi! So woke up this morning and found my cleaner shrimp dead. He's been there from the start and seemed a tough character. Bit of history, I have over the year lost a peppermint shrimp(disappeared) and 2 porcelain crabs while molting but could never find a reason.
    As you do you look around the tank for a reason. That's when I found this. Not great pics, cell phone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Haven't seen it before. What could it be! Is it a concern? Could it be the culprit?

Thanks in advance.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Looks like a vermetid worm. Doubt it would have eaten your shrimp

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Cleaner shrimps do not have a very long lifespan. 2 years, maybe 3 years. Its a pity.

5. sandersc

sandersc

Peppermint shrimps have the inclination to dissappear. I saw mine the last time, I put them in the tank. I've put in 3. I never saw them , but noticed that my aptaisia is also starting to get less, until I could not see any aptaisia in the tank. So I knew something ate it and that it could only be the peppermints. Saturday when I removed all the livestock from my tank, I also found two of the peppermints shrimps in my tank.

They were really worth the money, even though I dont see them around, so maybe yours is still there .

ziguri likes this.
  6. whipper

whipper Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! Having read up it definitely seems to be a vermetid worm. Mucus net to catch food. Apparently the net can irritate corals, my zoas have receded just above it where the 'net' drifts out. From what I've read some people say the can be a problem? Should I get rid of it? Superglue the opening shut?!

RiaanP hope that's why it was a real character

Sandersc I got my peppermint originally because I bought some zoas and got a aptasia as an unwanted hitchhiker. Pepi was not in the tank 10 minutes and he sorted it out! I've only got a Boyu TL450 so not many places for him to hide unfortunately. He just disappeared

Recent Posts