ID Please

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm battling to get an ID on the brown stuff in my tank. Imagine Diatom colour looking stuff, but growing in long strands (up to about 3cm). Can diatoms get that hecticif they gang up together:whistling:?

It was literally flowing in the current. I've managed to beat it back but would like to know what it actually was. There are 1 or 2 spots left so I'll post pics to try show you all.......

Bliksem that was quick:thumbup:

Coolest, never had it like this, I'll post a pic

Thanks Warr - yes Naptalene - please post a pic to confirm...
BTW: cyano does come in different "strains" of bacteria, giving cyano different colorations.... Not only deep wine red...

Actually sounds like dinoflagellates (snot algae) to me. But without a pic, who knows.

Sorry guys, haven't had a chance to put up pics.
I have searched the net and couldn't see what I've got, manually raking the gravel beds and blasting rockwork to clean everything up.

Will post tonight

Checking online, can't seem to find any pics of this algae, does it go by any other name ?

Dinoflangellates when it blooms is what causes "red tide". Herbivoes don't eat it and Turban and Astrea snails will die if they do eat it.

This is a small bloom.....it can get much worse.

Fish027-1.jpg

It looks and feels like snot.

Hi, sorry for all the late responses.

Taken a photo but have to get the wife to resize it for me.
That looks similar but mine is almost segmented and looks border line like the green gloop (spirogyra SP?) you get in rivers over winter......except its brown.

Will post soon and when it's id'd put it in the algae MASpedia for others.

We should have a "worst algae" photo comp with prizes. That would be the way to get people to admit they have algae LOL

Here's the gunk ..... this is timid compared with what it used to be.
IMG2.jpg

card01copy.jpg

Some of those strands were LONG

HHHhhhhhmmm - still not convinced.... not 100% sure it is indeed dynoflagelates.... Naptalane - IF you can get some more pics, it would be awesome..... (BTW: it looks like dying hair algae to me, in those pics).... BUT I could be wrong.... I have been wrong in the past..

The weird thing is it's always been brown. And it grows even though it's brown.
That's been the confusion in the ID.

I'll take some more pics for y'all.

No really thank you......:thumbup:

Running late for Ante-Natal classes so won't be able to post pics. Will do it tomorrow.
Thanks again everyone

It looks like derbesia covered with detritus. But I obviously didn't get to see it before it was pruned.

Back
Top Bottom