ID Please

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by Equipt, 15 Apr 2013.

1. Equipt

Equipt

Hi Guys, i have this frag that has been releasing a kind of string from the rock it is on. it has been doing this for a few days and the pulsing xenia frag seems to be dying. Any idea what this is and what can be causing this?

photo.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Bad water quality is probably the only thing that can kill a xenia...
    What is your nitrate levels? Salinity?

4. Equipt

Equipt Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Visser, will check and post tonight, any idea what that string like substance that is being secreted ?

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

String is more likely a worm next to the xenia

6. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

other way round. Xenia flourishes in a high nutrient environment.

7. Equipt

Equipt Thread Starter

Ok, it is possible I am running a low nutrient system, about this worm that is releasing this string like substance, I am a newbie but is the secretion a bad thing?

8. Bflynn

Bflynn

Is the stringy mucus thing not from the worm? Fishing tube worm? I read that it can irritate nearby corals. Maybe Xenia not dying, but just closing/shrinking due to contact with mucus.

9. MavrickFDT

MavrickFDT

Yes, the Xenia are closing cause of the unuasual movement next to them, you will see the worm will move and the Xenia's will go back to normal.

10. Equipt

Equipt Thread Starter

Hi Guys, ok i have taken a close up of the "worm". But it seems to be hard and attached to the rock. i have circled it in yellow. Also i have spotted what i think may be a tiny feather duster below it. the rock seems to have a few more of the "worms" around it, some in green... You can see the effect it is having on the Xenia next to it.

I have buttons, zoas, and mushrooms elsewhere in the tank that seem un-affected.

photo.jpg

11. MavrickFDT

MavrickFDT

I tried to find a good pic of Dying Xenia, and you will notice the color change when they are in bad shape, to me those Xenia look more disturbed then dying, give them some time and see if they open again.

Here is the best pic I could find

Dying Xenia.JPG

12. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

that worm is a vermatid worm i believe and it shouldnt bother the xenia, is the xenia the only unhappy coral?

13. Equipt

Equipt Thread Starter

Thanks Deadmeat, I looked it up and it does look like it is vermatid snails"worms". It sends up a mucus string to feed and retracts it after a while. I have read that the mucus strands can irritate corals. The animals that seem the eat them are copper bands or hermit crabs. Since my crabs boxed each other to death, a while ago. I now need to replace them ASAP as the vermatid snails can reproduce fast and many mucus strands can intertwine and form webs that are a pain.

Thanks again guys for the help!

14. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

No worries dude, another thing to watch out for in relation to these worms, they grow in funny places and their 'tubes' they build can be extremely sharp. Many times I have picked up something in my tank and the tube penetrates the skin like a needle which is painful, even worse is when it stabs you and breaks off leaving the tube embedded beneath the skin. ouchy!!

Recent Posts