ID Please

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by Bonzai, 24 Apr 2011.

1. Bonzai

Bonzai

Please help me identify this urchin?

We got it from the south coast.

Yes we have a permit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

pencil urchin, they are ok, but can push over rocks

4. seank

seank

In the pic below there are about 4 different ones. Way too many for any tank.Urchins feed upon algae, sponge, or detritus. They need food (Algae- Coraline comes to mind) as they graze constantly.

Some interesting info (Oh, I forgot to say- I read up a lot on these guys as they always fascinated me and I had a few different ones ;) ) :
    There are around 800 extant species and the group has a long and detailed fossil record stretching back about 450 million years ago to the Late Ordovician Period.

They belong to the Echinoidea, one of the five classes of the phylum Echinodermata, the others being holothurians, crinoids, starfish and brittlestars.

And this you need to know:
    Regular echinoids can be keystone taxa in shallow marine communities as one of the dominant algal grazers. When populations have been lost through disease or overfishing, algal stands thrive and the nature of the sea floor can become drastically altered.

In the bottom right side of the bucket is a (Diadema antillarum), the Long-Spined Urchin, slightly to its left is a (Tripneustes gratilla),Priest-hat Urchin , also known as the Sea Egg, or the Hairy Pincushion Urchin. The one exposed out of the water is a (Echinometra mathaei),or the Common Urchin, or known here by us as the pencil urchin.

5. seank

seank

Also, please do not put them in a new tank, you'll starve them to a slow death

6. Bonzai

Bonzai Thread Starter

Thanks Sean. I'm going to put one of each in my tank that is about 8 months old. The others I want to give to a friend of mine for his tank.

7. seank

seank

Keep the priest hat and the Diadema then, the others are not worth it. Juvenile (I have seen some sub adults do it too) Domino damsels likes swimming between the spines of the diadema urchins- basically hides amongst the spines for protection.

The short spines ones tend to topple rocks over as well as "loose" coral.

The others are less destructive

Recent Posts