ID please...bristle tooth tang??

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have had this fella a while, one of my first fish and i brought him as a bristle tooth tang and have always thought of him as such. Yet i have been to a number of LFS with fish called bristle tooth tangs which are similar shape yet very different colours. Or is there a more specific name for this fella? He is an incredible grazer:)

1355.jpg

1334.jpg

Reaction score
There colors change as they mature/age and you do get several bristletooth tangs.
I suggest you do a search on www.wetwebmedia.com to find out the exact name of yours.

Reaction score
Here some choices

p-74643-kole-yellow-eye.jpg

Kole Yellow Eye Tang

p-26105-bristletooth-tomini.jpg

Bristletooth Tomini Tang

p-39118-twospot-bristletooth.jpg

Two Spot Bristletooth Tang

Reaction score
thanks warr, very nice of you:) the closest i could get to is the kole yellow eyed, but the spots confused me a little, perhaps they change with age to stripes, will have to watch:)

Reaction score
@crispin, did you eventually find out what tang this is? I have the same chap and am battling to ID too, the whole spots/stripes thing is confusing.

3924e6ca01d5b1e4.jpg

3924e6ca052f2d8d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have purchased the same tang a week ago. Although mine is about 3cm long. Very, very small. He has been in the LFS's refugium for more than a month already. I have put him in my display refugium where he is extremely happy. Eating everything I feed him. He needs to grow quit a bit before I can add him into my Reef. It is a Silver spotted Yellow Eyed Kole Tang (Ctenochaetus Truncatus). You also get the Yelow Eyed Kole Tang (Ctenochaetus Strigosus - pinstripes on the body). It has been suggested that they are geographical variants of the same species.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
hornjbl ID Needed 2
Riaan_Nano_20 ID Needed 5
H ID Needed 3
H ID Needed 3
tinusb ID Needed 3