Id please anemone

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by carlosdeandrade, 2 Sep 2012.

1. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I came across this anemone from a LFS, and I don't know if it was my stupidity or my bunny hugger, anthropomorphic heart, but I decided to bring it home.
    It is seriously bleached (see pic), but still reacted well to touch and it's mouth was closed and I couldn't leave this guy just to sit there and die.
    Seeing though I am home 95% of the time, I have decided to try and get it's Zooanthelae back and get it back into shape.
    What I can't figure out is the species, the LFS sold is as a red sea anemone, but I think it might be a Heteractis sp or even a Macrodactyla sp.
    At the LFS it had a red to orange foot and pedicel with white markings underneath the rim of the tentacles, the tentacles themselves have circular markings that appear whiter than the tentacles themselves and the oral disc has stripes radiatng from it.

I placed it in some circular PVC piping in deep sand and it hasn't moved, at night it's tentacles are very active.

I fed it a piece of lance fish last night and this morning it took a piece of krill superba.

I hope this dude comes right.

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Picture is a little bit blurry but it looks to me like it could be a Corkscrew tentacle anemone, Macrodactyla doreensis. It may not be as badly bleached as you think as they do have quite a silvery colour to them, some with a bit of a purple tinge on the tentacles.

4. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade Thread Starter

Recent Posts