ID Please : Anemone

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by tinusb, 9 May 2009.

1. tinusb

tinusb

Hi everybody!

I just bought a little nemmie today - yeah, impulse buying ain't good! According to the LFS it's not aggressive... but I would like to have an ID on it. My LFS said it's a 'sand anemone'... just weird that google barely delivers any hits/photos looking like it!

Thanx for the help!

PS. It's the white one... not the !@#$#@ aiptasia.
    T :thumbup:[​IMG]

Last edited: 9 May 2009
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

I am sure you are aware that the creature is bleached.

It is going need good lights and regular feeding to get it's symbiotic algae and colour back.

Very difficult to ID, as you need to see it's foot to accurately ID. But my guess would bee a sand nemmie species.

4. tinusb

tinusb Thread Starter

Hey Warr! Thanx! The colour of it's foot is orange... quite a nice orange, if I do have to say so myself. I wonder why do they bleach the poor things?! Yeah lights aint a problem and will feed it regularly. Thanx for the help!

5. Warr7207

Warr7207

Good stuff the orange foot is more than likely it nature colour. Good luck.

These creatures bleach due to stress from shipping and being in a low oxygen/light environment for long periods of time

6. tinusb

tinusb Thread Starter

ok, so it's not 'bleached' like in 'jikk' or a type of dye? It's only because of stress, etc - as the same with corals? :)

7. Warr7207

Warr7207

Yip same as the corals, it has expelled it's symbiotic algae, thereby no colour ;)

8. tinusb

tinusb Thread Starter

Cool thanx Warr :)

9. Anemone

Anemone

That anemone is in very poor health. Its going to need lots of TLC ..... food, good water quality, mature tank, and good lighting, but be careful not to shock it with too much light. If your lighting is higher than what it came from you need to acclimate it to the lighting. Window screening for a few days will help with this. As far as feeding, feed super tiny pieces daily of raw meaty foods such as silversides, krill, shrimp. If you can get your hands on some selcon, try soaking the food in selcon before feeding the anemone. Feeding portions that are too large will cause the anemone to regurgitate it several hours later as it is not able to digest it. This not only results in the anemone not getting any food, but it also has wasted energy trying to digest it, only to expel it. This will cause more harm to a unhealthy anemone.

Be prepared for large water changes in the event that this anemone takes a turn for the worst. A dead anemone can wipe out an entire reef tank.

Be sure to cover all intakes. New anemones may roam until they find a happy spot. Unhealthy anemones may never find a happy spot and roam until it doesn't have the energy to roam any more. Sometimes they detach themselves completely and go floating around the tank ...... until they meet up with your equipment.

Get rid of the aiptasia. A unhealthy anemone doesn't stand a chance next to aiptasia.

Recent Posts