ID needed

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Giepie, 24 Jul 2009.

1. Giepie

Giepie

I found this on my LR and don't know what it is or where it came from. I kneed the pro's to identify this please. It's about the size of a grain of rice, feels kinda leathery, sits like hell to the rock (which is going to make removal a bitch) and feels as hard as half boiled rice.

Here's the first pic, tried to get as close as posible without loosing as much quality
    [​IMG]

From another angle
    [​IMG]

Please, if things like this appear out of nowhere, then I start to get the shakes...

Enough of the scary stuff, I also found this on the same rock... I see this often in the little rockpools at the beach, but never thought that it will grow in my tank... Out of blue... so to speak... Am I at least doing something right, or is this part of the basic microscopic life living on LR?

[​IMG]

Any help will be appreciated, any advice on how to get rid of the "ricegrain" (if it's bad news) will be taken to heart.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

The first is a calcerous sponge which are harmless. The second looks like a calcerous tubeworm also harmless

4. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

Thanks for that Tony, also the quick reply...:thumbup:

Feels like someone took the world off my shoulders...

5. Tony

Tony

The calcerous sponges are also a sign of good water quality

6. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

You'll also see these tubeworms grow everywhere. That is good, as it all just adds more things to keep the water clean. Sponges also do great jobs at this, so keep them alive... ;)

As Tony said, sign of good water conditions, and you might see them popping out everywhere on the LR...

7. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

Jaco, Tony... Your feedback made my weekend... I think it's time i can sit back for a moment and enjoy some :peroni::peroni::peroni::peroni::peroni::peroni:

I'll hop on the net today and do some research on that sponge and tubeworm... Once again, FANX GUYS!!!

8. Jaco Schoeman

No probs man. :wave2:

Listen, just some point on both that species. They are filter feeders. In other words they filter the water to get food from. I do not know how old your tank is, and what you have in there at the moment, but for these creatures to grow and multiply, I would suggest feeding them some Cyclops-eeze. You do not need to target feed them specifically, but if you feed cyclops to the rest of your corals, and just spray it in the tank with a syringe, then these two babies would filter feed from the water, and grow into healthy specimens!!! :thumbup:

Also note they do not become VERY big, and if you have no corals yet, in time, when you are fully stocked, you tend to "forget" they exist, as they remain smallish...:p So enjoy them while you remember them!!! hehehehe...

9. Stressed Eric

Stressed Eric

Lol, watching a tank get up and running is both amazing and stressful eh ? All the wierd and wonderful noo noo's that come popping out of the blue get stressed over, googled and then watched to see what they get up to . . .

10. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

Jaco, at the moment I'm running Fish & LR... I currently have a 100L nano (better that their previous home - 45-50L nano) but my 1.7m is "work in progress". I am planning to introduce corals, but now for now... Beeing a beginner, I don't want to rush this and loose money at the end. My budget is extremely tight, so rushing it is out of the question in any case... So for me, it's babysteps for now...

I'll be going to my LFS over the weekend and will take your advice and get some Cyclops-eeze
    for them.

Thanks dude:thumbup:

11. Jaco Schoeman

Giepie, if you are going to get cyclops just for these two, as your LFS if they cant give you a free sample. My LFS gives free samples... Cyclops are a tad expensive, and you need very very little...

You can target feed these two if you want, with a syringe. Take about 3ml - 5ml of water, put a VERY VERY small amount (I just wet the tip of a syringe, stick it in the cyclops and what sticks, gets used...) of cyclops in the water and let it soak for about 15mins.

Then gently spray it over your new babies. The tubeworm will most definitely pull back, so dont get a fright. It will still get food.

My lfs suggested that I spray cyclops all over LR, then you see how things pop up out of nothing!!! Did it, and it worked!! Lots of these tubies etc grew. :peroni:

12. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Giepie - the 1st one is a "Hairy Tube Sponge". Google this.

The second one is a fan-worm.

They are both very good to have... awesome filter feeders that helps to clean the water.

13. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

Thanks Jacquesb, so I am doing something right... for a change... LOL:slayer:

Recent Posts