ID Needed Please

Reaction score
Hi, some help need identifying this algae please.
It is like a type of slime/film over some rocks. It is a brownish type color
and has bubbles under this slime layer that will escape every now and then.
If I brush and vacuum up it stays away for a couple of days then returns.

20150908_175435.jpg

Cyano

Although in the picture is looks very white, maybe overexposed on the camera flash.

Thanks Riaan, Is Cyano also brownish color, thought it was that red slim I recently got rid of
This one is brownish color with a shinny type covering over it, makes the rock look smooth

Not live rock, it was DIY rock I made and tank has been going since end March this year.
I added about 7-8 Kg's of live rock when cycle started. This only seems to be one half of the tank rock.
Have added 2 x additional pumps on wave controller yesterday. What do I do to get this stuff removed.

When you do your water changes then siphon it up and out of the system.

Cyano can be other colors, not only velvet red. That rock is still leaching something out, not the normal food for the normal cyano. That might explain the difference in color. Its not the normal cyano as we know it.

Keep on siphoning it out, even daily doing small water changes instead of a big one over the weekend.

@RIAAN is correct, with the details you supplied us, something is in the rock that are food for some kind of cyano BACTERIA and if you can not pinpoint the trigger. THEN Your options are limited to either removing the offending rock permanently, upping your flow and syphon it of as it appear OR (what I would do) put the rock in a curing tank and:
1. add loads of flow + a good bacterial inoculation product DAILY (this will help out-compete the offenders)
2. Scrub the rock clean on the surfaces that have these bacteria
3. Place them in the curing tank
4. Inspect them daily and scrub the surfaces that have these bacteria clean
5. Change water as needed
6. keep on going till there is no re-appearancing bacteria
7. Keep them in the curing tank for another week or 2
8. Return them back to the main display

Last edited by a moderator:
thx for the feedback, quick question: If something is leaching feeding the bacteria from the rock then
what water parameters can I check or would it not show in any test results.
Nitrite=0
Nitrate=0
Ammonia=0
Ph=8.2
dKH= 8.5
Ca= 500(busy bringing down from 720)last water change this weekend should bring to about 430-450
Temp=25-26
Will keep scrubbing for a while and see if the 2 new x wave maker pumps extra flow resolves.

A few small frags with Zoa's and GSP about 3 or 4

I thought as much,

That slime could be from die off.(which is how Cyano is caused)

Are the zoa's closed? If the rock can be easily removed take it out
and if it smells dead/rotting(like sulphur) then it's definitely die off.

So you will be able to determine if you had die off on the rock. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rock VERY difficult to remove(would basically have to pull the tank apart). Frags were placed ontop of rock
not fixed in any way. The Zoa's are not dead but also not opening for a while now. GSP doing well in another part of the tank(moved them cause did not want this slime affecting them in any way)

Back
Top Bottom