ID needed please

Reaction score
49944e413cae8f07b.jpg

They look different to each other, sometimes they retract into the rock, anyone know what they are?? They are found on a rock with Green Star Polyps?????

Hmmm those star polyps seem to have grown on the skeleton of an existing coral, of which those you circled seem to be the original. You can see they are growing in the holes if i can call them that. Some kind of LPS by the looks of it

Im not talking about the skeleton, Im talking about the two things in the circle, they are growing in the holes of the skeleton, they are alive because they have grown since I got the coral, the one on the left has small white tipped tenticles that sway in the current.

It looks to me like the "dead" coral (maybe an acanthastrea) on which the star polyps are growing is making a modest come-back. It won't "re-fill" the dead skeleton, it will grow a new skeleton on top of the dead one. If you want to give it a chance to keep growing, you'll have to cut back the star polyps.

I was thinking of cutting the piece off where they are situated, do you think its a good idea?

I was thinking of cutting the piece off where they are situated, do you think its a good idea?

Just do this :) .. YOu will need a dremel or something and do it outside because you will need the ventilation

@Tremayn I also think I should seperate it from the main rock, will see what I can do. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Just do this :) .. YOu will need a dremel or something and do it outside because you will need the ventilation

That should work too. But try to place it in a similar environment (i.e. same level of light and current). Since it seems to like where it is, try to put it in a similar spot.

Back
Top Bottom