ID needed please

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Goby, 22 Oct 2009.

1. Goby

Goby

Heloooo MASA,

Ever since my powder blue got WS (and died after the 2nd wave) :( the tank is not so lekker anymore. On monday discoverd that the WS had returned and attached itself to one of the clowns now. Does this shaaaaaaait ever stop??? or will every fish eventually get infected and die? How can i stop this?

Also discovered some realy nasty looking stuff on the LR. It looks like a cacoon. Please ID this for me.

[​IMG]

There is plenty of the hanging under this rock.

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. inflames

inflames

These are good little guys! Just a type of sponge...they are filter feeders...no need to worry about them at all!! Sorry about your PB:(.

Has anuthing changed in your setup?

4. Goby

Goby Thread Starter

nothing except for the fishes getting infected with this freaken WS wave. I want to quarantine all of the fish but it will be to much of a mission to catch all of them especially the yellow tang,the yellow watchmen goby and the mandarin. So realy fedup with this WS.

5. inflames

inflames

What have you tried to get rid of it?

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Goby. As the others have said - these are good "critters" to have. They are called hairy tube sponges. They help in keeping the water clean, by filterfeeding. They "eat" all the microscopic crap in the water! ;)

7. Goby

Goby Thread Starter

Nothing yet. The reason being that it would be very difficult to catch all of the fish, and it would probably mean taken out the LR to catch them. This i don't want to do. I was thinking to run hypo salanity in the main DT but the shrooms, LR and inverts wont surive hypo salanity conditions. any suggestions?

8. Goby

Goby Thread Starter

B E A U T I F U L, at least there's something good going on in the system. :thumbup:

9. inflames

inflames

What inverts do you have? There should not be any long term damage to shrooms or live rock! I had a problem of WS and took my SG down to 1.016 for 7 days and also increase temp to 28-29 degrees. I did both changes over a 2 day period to minimise stress and so on for the other inhabitants. So 2 days to get it done, left at that for 7 days, and then 2 days to get it back to normal. Some guys might not agree with me...but it worked! I have not seen any WS back in my system sice then. This was 8 months ago!:thumbup:

10. Goby

Goby Thread Starter

GR8, that is what i want to do. but is 1.016 not to high for this curing method?. As far as from what i have read, you want to go down to 1.010. and that will not be good for inverts. I have 1x cleaner shrimp

11. inflames

inflames

I am not not sure that 1.010 would be great for any thing. thats why I only took it down to 1.016. You could try for 1.012 - 1.014...I have heard that this is what some LFS run their tanks at! I dont think that it would cause any real long term damage to your shrimp...bear in mind that its only for a week or so! Maybe see if your LFS could keep him or you for a week!?!?! Also Shrimps are probably more sensitive to the temp increase to 28-29 degrees! The 1.016 and temp of 28-29 worked for me!

12. jacquesb

Guys - to be honest - I am not 100% sure if you won't shorten the lifespan of your inverts, by dropping the salinity of the water, to such low levels....
    IF you do this VERY VERY slowly, ie. over a period of 8 to 10 days, then you have the best chance of your invertebrates surviving. BUT, then also - don't keep your salinity that low for long periods of time.

The absolutely best way, would be to run your tank with NO FISH in, for at least 6 weeks time. In this period of time, all the life-cycle stages of the white-spot (c. irritans) should have been killed off.

Please take into account, that's the reason why one should actually quarantine any fish before you place them into your tank/s. Because any new fish might be a "carrier" of the white-spot larvae or cysts, and this then just re-introduces the whitespot to your tank.

This can cause your fish to have whitespot, even if you have started your tank ALL the way from scratch.

13. Goby

Goby Thread Starter

14. inflames

inflames

100% Agreed!:thumbup:

The only inverts I had was 2 hermit crabs and a few snails when i did it!

15. jacquesb

Recent Posts