ID needed - Green star hitch Orange Hiker.

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by butcherman, 14 Feb 2011.

1. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Need an ID on the orange hitch hiker that came with the gsp please
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dane

Dane

Looks like a NPS - sun coral type of organism? Can you get a closer shot?

4. Lycan

Lycan

Could be some kind of sponge... but like Dane says.. can you get a closer shot ?

5. butcherman

butcherman Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

Thats pretty much as close as i can get.
    As you can see orange object in question is no bigger than 1 x green star polyp.
    I think its a NPS perhaps similar to a chili coral or a flower tree coral but only a ting frag if it is.

6. butcherman

anyone else have any thoughts

@Jaco Schoeman do the nps police have any ideas please?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

That is definetely not a sun coral as you rightly state bucherman - taking the size of those polyps into account vs. the size of the GSP...

Also, baby suncoral grow quite large before splitting / growing more heads... On yours I count around what 8 heads?

So, suncoral is no no... I doubt that it is a dendronephtya, as the polyps on a dendro is VERY small, even smaller than those.

The polyps look similar to those of a gorgonian (being an octocoral that has 8 tentacles on the polyp) yet I see no visible "skeleton"...

So, it might be that it is, as mentioned above, some sort of chili coral. This IMO would be first though. I have a pink chilli coral, and that was "dubbed" as new specimen that no one has ever seen. If this is in fact a orange chilli coral you have a winner there... Can you maybe try and have a look whether or not this coral has spinicules (looks like tooth picks) inside the tissue. Alternatively, if you touch it, is it soft like a mushroom or does it feel rubbery and almost hardish?

You do have some good news and some bad news x2 coming your way...

The good news is that chilli coral are quite strong NPS, and for sure one of the easiest NPS to keep.

The first bad news is that it will definetely die very fast if not a chilli coral and in fact a more difficult species of NPS - sorry... You can however prevent this by feeding it right - daily.

The second bad news is, that those GSP will soon overgrow the coral and it will be killed.

The only advice I can give there, is have the GSP rock on two other rocks, thus haveing the NPS coral hung on the bottom side of the rock. This way the GSP will not overgow it as it will not grow into an area that has no light... This will give the NPS a fighting chance...

Alternatively just frag the rock around the NPS, and stick it somewhere else...

8. butcherman

can i use my dremmel and cut that section of rock off and glue it down else where?

9. butcherman

also can i feed it Cyclop-Eeze?

10. Jaco Schoeman

Yes and yes... A coral that small is best kept on medium flow - do not just stick it in heavy flow just cause it is a NPS...

Also, I work in Kempton, maybe I must pop around tomorrow after work and check it out - just not today - I was at U2 and need to get some sleep... lol

11. robvdv

robvdv

As Jaco said, positive IDs without scoping the spicules can be very difficult, but the first thing I thought when I saw it was Scleronephthya:

[​IMG]

12. butcherman

Ok i fraged the rock with the NPS in question (as the gps was fast covering them) and removed any signs of gps from it.

It seems there are about 3 of these NPS on it, perhaps 1 will grow. I have placed it in a medium flow area.
    On the plus side i have 2 piece of gps to stick elsewhere in the tank

13. butcherman

this is as up close as i could get befor fraging the rock
    [​IMG]

14. robvdv

robvdv

Pretty little thing :)

15. butcherman

Less hope i can care for it's needs.

16. Jaco Schoeman

I also thought it might be one, bu scleronephthya is quite similar in appearance to dendronephtya in polyp appearance and size (however sclero has a bit bigger polyps)

The reason I doubt however, is the "aggressive" look of the polyps that butcherman has posted now... If I say aggressive they look like a weapon from a Predator movie, having very pointy tentacles with long pointy "hooks" on them.

Dendro and sclero is more a filter feeder that has feathery tentalces, so again this seems more like a chilli coral to me.

The best thing I would imagine is to wait and see, untill it gets larger. But my money is definetely on chilli, or as robvdv said, a sclero.

Will have to wait and see though...;)

17. Jaco Schoeman

Hi Butcherman

I know you asked the questions on PM, but I hope you dont mind my answers to them on open forum, as others might learn form it as well... ;)

Okey, your photo did not come through so I went to check your tank thread - I hope this still you scaping:

[​IMG]

If it is, then I would recon to place that coral on the vertical cliff on the right hand side... Becuase your overflow is there, most food will pass that point to be sucked in by the overflow.

Alternatively place it upside down on that rockwork on the left. But IMO right hand side would be better... I cannot determine flow from a pic of course, but I would imagine the flow there is not too rough, yet not too gentle, and also chaotic enough - right?

Secondly, no, CyclopEeze is not the only thing they will eat. The VERY VERY best thing to EVER feed NPS is live food - in the form of newly hatched brine. Now that is alot of work, so if you do not want to go that route, get yourself some Brightwells Zooplankton LARGE, some frozen rottifier and cyclopeeze...

The important thing at this stage is taking polyp size and structure into consideration. Those polyps are not filter feeder polyps, so feeding them phyto will not be the ultimate food, as particle size of phyto is VERY small. Yes, the coral will ingest phyto, but it requires larger prey.

Frozen Mysis or large brine on the other hand is again too big for those polyps at this stage, so if you now look at my list of recommended foods, you will notice what particle size you need to aim for.

If I am correct in guessing it is a chilli, then it will grow quite quickly, and the polyps will also become larger. That is when larger prey will be taken as well, but for now, try and feed the above.

I suggest getting a syringe and some air tubing, and just squirt a little food (5ml) daily over the coral when it is open. This will then not tilt your bioload scales and your other coral and fish will greatly appreciate the extra food that is "wasted" by the NPS.

Other than that, do not handle it alot, one thing I have learnt from NPS is they do not like tampering. They are like my wife - if I fiddle too much, then she gets de moer in and "closes up" completely. NPS the same. Once in a spot, leave it. If it seems fine, and all of a sudden remains closed - leave it. It will open up again.

Wrt trace elements etc NPS is not different to any other coral. This seems te be a softcoral NPS, except it has the appetite of a hippo. So elements would be the same as for any other soft coral. One thing different to other softies however is calcium. Most NPS softies like dendro and chilies, have calclium spinicules inside them to help them stay erect and stable in heavy flow areas in the ocean. This is then obvious that they require a bit more calclium to build those spinicules than what a kenya tree would require for example.

That said, I do not dose any calcium myself, as I do large frequent water changes that seem to be more than enough. You would know where your Ca is sitting in your tank, and decide if you need to dose or not...

The most important factor in keeping NPS is water quality, food availability, food quantity and food quality.

If you can keep all those in line, and constant, then you will have great success with it!!!

Good luck, and shout if you need further help - I love helping guys with NPS!!!

butcherman likes this.
  18. butcherman

Thanks Jaco

19. butcherman

Just to check if what im doing is right.

This is the frag of rock there seem to be perhaps 4 or 5 of this NPS on it
    [​IMG]
    and yes jaco is correct in saying these things close up tighter than a miss handeld wife or girlfriend.
    I have placed it on the right most part or my tank, halfway up the vertical cliff.
    this is a piture of the cliff from the site.
    [​IMG]

i went to the lfs earlier all they had was freeze dried cyclop-eeze. Do i dissolve some in RO and traget feed?

I will upload a video later, so you can see the flow in my tank also.

20. butcherman

How would something like microb-lift zoo plus fair as a food for NPS?
    size 800 micron
    contains
    Mysis, Daphnia, Copepods, and Baby Artemia

21. Jaco Schoeman

Good work thus far. I am currently using the Microbelift zoo and phyto. I am testing the effectiveness of microbelift vs. tropic marin vs. brightwells to see which is the "better" product for NPS.

I am not going to report on which is the best yet, as I have to still a few days of testing left, but I am now feeding mibrobelift only, to test it specifically.

But yes, definetly would say that you can use microbelift zoo.

Also, just keep an eye on that whitish sponge at the back there, don't allow it to overgrow the NPS... I have the same thing with my pink chilli. For now the sponge is behaving, but I will cut it back should I need to.

Recent Posts