I'd and info on 2 specimens please.

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by Kevin34PE, 27 Apr 2013.

1. Kevin34PE

Kevin34PE

Hi,can any I'd this cucumber looking thing and what it eats,and also the red stuff and how to get rid of it please. Its in a friend of mines tank and I'm trying to help him out.

IMG-20130427-00146.jpg

IMG-20130427-00147.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Cucumber,is it local caugt. Scavengers.

4. Kevin34PE

Kevin34PE Thread Starter

I didn't ask where he got it, and frankly it's got nothing to do with me as it is not mine. What I did ask for was to I'd them so I can either let him put it back in the sea or not. And also wanted to know If anyone knows what the algae stuff is and how to get rid of it. If he did collect it locally and it's wrong or bad for his tank then atleast I could I could help him remove the algae with the help of the other members on masa, and within doing so I could also maybe try convince him not to collect local stuff if he doesn't know what they are. Please refrain from name calling as this question on ids was based purely for educational purposes for him and I am only involved so as to get him to refrain from such future acts.

Last edited: 28 Apr 2013
  5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Holy crap dude, take a chill pill, Dorry may only have been asking if it was locally caught in order to get a better ID on it as she does a bit of rock pool collecting herself I think.

6. Kevin34PE

Kevin34PE Thread Starter

Sorry, bout that thaw I was being called a scavenger, I apologise for my unchilledness if I am wrong. I do think it was collected locally tho. Just wanted to explain why I posted, and also to have this thread purely for I'd purposes and not become a name calling thread. I am sorry Dorry if I offended you in any way in my response. Please accept my apologies.

7. Dirkie

Dirkie

Pretty little cucumber though.

8. Kevin34PE

Kevin34PE Thread Starter

Any idea what it eats? Also what can be done bout his red algae stuff?

9. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Hi Kevin 34PR, here in the rock pools NOrth KZN we also find some, saw other day black one and light pink one. They feed on tiny particles like algae and aquatic animals or wast materials. If he feel fretted he poop out his intestines so he can exscape, it grow back again.

10. Kevin34PE

Kevin34PE Thread Starter

Thank you Dorry. Any idea what the red algae is? I didn't take pic of whole tank,but it seems to be spreading over gis coral frags too.

11. Dorry

Dorry dorry

No problem, :thumbup:

12. Dorry

Dorry dorry

The red algae do they look slimy, yes they spread quickly. They come off very easy. Best is is you can do suck it out your tank. if you used a net and some of the you mis where it land it grow. In the beginnig stage of my tank i also had them they smothers some pols of my. The period your lights thats on reduce with a houer. And see the red algae suck them out. Make your one using a small power head.

13. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Oh, bee. Said first algae live on earth, probably was maybe the first algae form of live. Who knows, or first live algae on earth.

14. crispin

crispin

im a little scared of posting in this thread in case i cause offence and kevin doesnt like it. But there are a number of aspects to this tank that could benifitt the 'friend,' and perhaps they could be pointed in the direction of masa so that we could help them with the tank.

things like the substrate, dead urchin shells, dense live rock, what looks like cyano bacteria taking over (but too difficult to id from pics) should ALL be addressed. But as this is an ID only (its a cucumber by the way)....and there is lots you should learn about cucumbers before adding them to your tank! i will wait till your friend would like some advice and help before offrening it. Lest my thick skin gets flamed.....

15. Kevin34PE

Kevin34PE Thread Starter

Hi crispin,he is actually a member on masa,but he hardly ever comes onlinentherefore I end up doing the questions on his behalf. I have spoken to him bout his substrate which is locally collected aswell.I went the aragonite route on my tank as substrate,but he said its too expensive. The urchin shells in his tank are leftovers from when he used to feed the starfish and fish. As far as I know he is planning a upgrade soon,so I will push him towards doing everything differently.

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

You guys are down in PE, why do you not use locally collected sea sand instead of the substrate he got. I brought up wet sea sand last year all the way to Gauteng. It was a mission and it did feel as if I'm going uphill ALL the way. And its free. Well, I had to buy my sons ice-creams after the collection. But at least they did help me out.

17. Kevin34PE

Kevin34PE Thread Starter

Thanks RiaanP,I have convinced him to go the sea sand route now. And pointed out that its not just me that believes his substrate is a problem.

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

when you remove the current substrate, take a note of the amount of green pea soup released. Rather switch your return pump off before the time, as not to pollute the sump as well.

Best option is to remove max 20% every weekend. Then once done, then get the new sand in.
    There is a lot of bacteria on the substrate and you will rip a big part of the filtration capability out when you just remove all the sand in one go. But then again, adding live sand will help. But the temperatures will be different so you will get some die off from the bacteria on the new sea sand. Rather limit the total impact on the system and remove the current substrate in batches.

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Oh, yeah, I doid look in my books this morning. Cannot find your sea cucumber in it. But it does look nice. Just ensure that it NEVER reaches any powerhead. As they are very delicate creatures and can be sucked in just like an anemone. Cucumbers are either detritus feeders, filtering the sand or they got funny looking polyp extensions that they catch drifting food. Would not eat any corals.

Recent Posts