ID and info needed

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by Muhammad95, 2 Aug 2012.

1. Muhammad95

Muhammad95

I took a drive up the north coast today to see some of the rock pools and I took a few pics of what I saw.Didn't just want to take anything as I know I can't take some things and certain stuff aren't reef safe

Ok so I know that's a black sea urchin,I was just wondering how reef safe it is?and what's that red thing next to it.It looked abit like a nennie and I'm pretty sure we can't take those
    [​IMG]

Is this some kind of a hard tree and am I allowed to pick it up(I have all the required permits)
    [​IMG]

Thanks guys :thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Hi muhammad, first one looks like a pencil urchin species (cant see spines too good on pic). They are some of the best algae eating urchins, but they do tend to knock stuff around sometines. Rather try to look for a longspine urchin, there are lots in the sodwana, st lucia, cape vidal areas, even down to richardsbay area ive seen one.
    Just make sure you got the right permits,& never collect from a marine protected area!!!

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I got a couple of those medium spine urchins. They are so much easier to handle than long spines. Yes, I do have 1 long spine. I prefer the medium ones.

The rock anemones are cool. Just be sure that you can take it out without damaging it. That one looks easy. Just wash away the sand and then run your fingernail under the foot. Slowly until you can lift it. Yes I have some of those as well. Mostly they are in a crack or hole and you cannot get them out.

The hard tree thing, not sure, think its already dying anyway and will not make it.

But get your permit, its the right thing to do. While there check around for some Nerita snails. Awesome little guys, nice addition to your clean up crew. Also a Cushion star or 2.

5. frankie fish

frankie fish

The tree-like thing,is codium sp. Its a sea-grass/macro algae that needs cool water and strong water movement. If its not attached to a small rock or shell,it will be difficult to get it attached. Furthermore,if you found it laying around,rather chuck it than keep it,and if you want to collect it,try to remove one that is already attached. Codium is very nice for seahorse and pipefish setup,as some seahorse species prefer cool water,same as the codium,but then again,the strong waterflow may not be favourable for the horses.

6. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Urchin is Stomopneustes. Not really a good one, sometimes munches corals. You rather want the oval urchin (Echinometra). They're a distinctly oval shape rather than round, black shell with either brown (most common) or white or purple spines. Usually very common in rockpools.

The anemones are Anemonia natalensis. Subtropical species that doesn't do well over 25c.

Last one in Codium. This is a cooler water species and doesn't do well. I don't know of any tropical ones found locally...or at least I haven't seen any. You sometimes get another genus here called Pseudocodium that does do well. It's got much thinner branches and is a lighter green.

7. Muhammad95

Muhammad95 Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the help guys.Going again this weekend.I'll most likely just pick up zoas.Are there other corals that I can pick up other than zoas?

Recent Posts