ID 5 Think this I Grape Calpura?

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by 2balive, 19 Nov 2011.

1. 2balive

2balive

Hi

This is my second last algae that I have discovered after coming back from holiday. Again, I like it, lokos pretty/natural in the tank so would like to keep it, but not if it is going to become a problem.

It is only in 3 places in my tank and not really growing since I am back, one is actually residing.

I assume this is grape calpura?

Can it be kept safely? (My filter system should be able to deal with it going "sexual" as it is a very small amount).

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

You will find this Link good...maybe spotted the other one as I thought I saw a bubble or two...still have to go thru the Link myself...

This one could be Caulerpa Racemosa
    grape caulerpa - Bing Images

4. 2balive

2balive Thread Starter

Yip, definitely Caulerpa racemosa. What is the risk of keeping it?

5. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I had bubble caulerpa in my shrimp tank. It went sexual twice in 3 months. Moring all still OK, afternoon looks like half cooked spinach (Popeye food).

In a big tank, with tang or two, the tangs will take it out. If you have nothing eating it, i would not trust it.

7. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

It is grape caulerpa, I don't know why ppl are always scared of this stuff...in theory caulerpa should only go sexual if it feels threatened with dying off...poor lighting and lack of nutrients and not being harvested enough would be factors for this.

I kept loads of caulerpa at one stage and never had any issues with it, I am sure I remeber reading once that the amount of ppl who have actually experienced it going sexual is minimal.

It's so small I would leave it and let it grow out.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. crispin

crispin

i have a number of macro algaes in a small tank which i use as part of the nutrient removal and harvest them to feed tangs in a bigger system. possibly the fastes growing of them is the grape caulperua but even then its not been a hassel to keep under cotroll. once while i was away it realy took over a large piece of LR and that was difficult as uit realy gets deep into the cracks and it regrows from the smallest section left behind. To controll that piece I harvested as carefully as I could by hand and fed that to tangs, then placed that LR in to tank to be propperly cleaned by the tangs before replacing it into the nano.

my feeling on the stuff is its fine to have but requires managment or it can overtake a tank.

9. 2balive

2balive Thread Starter

OK, removed most, will continue to take them out as I see them. Pity, they were pretty.

Recent Posts