Ich

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I see that I have white spot in my tank and unfortunately do not have a quarantine tank for the fish that are infected. Does anyone have recommendations for medication as there are inverts in that tank.

Sorry if i have posted this under the wrong thread

Unfortunately there is no medication that you can use. You have got to ensure that they eat sufficient and if you can run UV.

Thanks for the reply

I have a 300l tank. what size uv should i get and do you know what they cost?

I would say 11w or 13w. Don't know what pricing wold be. You should run a 800-1200 l/h powerhead on that.

As i understand it, a feshwater dip can help, i think there is an iodine additive to put in the dip, do a search for "fresh water dip" on the tool bar, it will come up

I've used garlic in the past with gr8 success. I use to very finely slice the fresh cloves, put then in a glass and use the back of the knife to "crush" them to get the juice out, then put my pellet food in, the pellets would suck up the juice, then I would feed it to the fish, don't worry if some garlic goes in, some of the fish liked it.

Are you saying the garlic acted a a cure or to atract the fish to eat when ill?

I wouldn't say its a cure by any means but in my 2 cases I feel its definatly help, I believe (what I've learnt from others) it acts as an anti-oxcident and helps the fish's immune system. So many of the new foods you can buy now even include garlic. I would also kill the lights for 24hrs.

Cool. I don't know if it has been proven that it boost their imune systems. I do know that they are attracted to it and like to eat food that has garlic as an ingredient. I believe that if you can get a fish to keep eating well when sick then half the battle is won.

either way it helps, be it as a anti-oxcident or not, but like you say, as long as the fish keeps eating you're already on the right track.

Hi guys - I have lost a LOT of fish early in December due to marine ich. The problem was two surgeon fish that was "fighting". I would not try and remove any of the fish from the tank, as removing them would just cause more stress. The thing with marine ich - many fish can handle it on their own, getting better in a week and a bit - BUT, ONLY if the stress is reduced AND if they are eating. If you do NOT have this, then chances increase for the fish to die.

So - yeah - adding garlic could help keeping the fish to eat, or perhaps assist with their immune system.... (unfortunately this someone still have to prove - BUT, as long as one gets great results with it - I would say - go on with it)....

My humble opinion is: KEEP ANY EXTRA STRESS AWAY FROM THE FISH....

Yip garlic comes up everytime this question is asked, aand although I do not believe there is any conclusive proof that the Garlic as such helps, it does seem to peek the fishes interest in the food, and if you cab get them to eat and eat well, then you are on the right track, an eating strong fish has a much better chance of combating the white spot. Try the Omega First Food as well

I personally would not dip as you just adding to the stress of the already stressed fish

Also Myaxazin is an option as is a malaria medication for humans, but in a reef there is no ways I would take this chance.

Raising the water temp by a degree or 2 might help speed up the life cycle of the ich (but again in a reef it may not be viable)

raising the temp by 2 degrees is fine as long as it is done slowely - i have dived with temps in the sea at 29 and in the rock pools maybe 30. reefers without chillers often seen temps at 28.

please if doing a fresh water dip, do not use raw RO, as it has no oxygen.

Use maxyzin as directed on the bottle, diconnect any uv and remove all absorbtion material and resins, i.e carbon. Make sure you complete the course. Soak all food in garlic, in this regard try seachem's garlic guard. Keep fish well fed on a well balanced diet. This will help to fight of the parasite by boosting their immunity combined with the maxyzin, which is reef safe if used as per directions. The increase in temperature will accelerate the parasite's cycle. The parasite is only vulnerable once it frees itself from it's "cocoon" until it attaches itself to the host fish. The medication has no effect while attached to the host fish and also no effect when it drops off. Your alternative, and much more effective, is to remove all fish to your hospital tank and treat with a copper based medication untill the parasite is killed. You need to leave your main display without any fish for atleast six weeks, with temperature raised to +/- 28 degrees. This will speed up the cycle and without a host it will simply die.

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the advise. The fish is still eating :thumbup: which by what I've read so far, it’s not taking the infection that bad. I have increased the temp to 28c from 27c and have added the UV Sterilizer hopefully this will be the beginning of the end for the ICH. The garlic is definitely something I’m going to try as the powder blue would not eat the pellets even before the ICH took over.

Once again thanks for all the help.

no doubt,garlic works wonders!!always used this method and it helps,other wise i switch on my UV,espescially when new fish are introduced...good to know that the fish are still feeding

Are you saying the garlic acted a a cure or to atract the fish to eat when ill?

I wouldn't say its a cure by any means but in my 2 cases I feel its definatly help, I believe (what I've learnt from others) it acts as an anti-oxcident and helps the fish's immune system. So many of the new foods you can buy now even include garlic. I would also kill the lights for 24hrs.

no doubt,garlic works wonders!!always used this method and it helps,other wise i switch on my UV,espescially when new fish are introduced...good to know that the fish are still feeding

Guys read this article, Garlic may actually be a cure and not just a food supplement

http://www.reefs.org/library/article/h_cortes-jorge.html

Back
Top Bottom