Ich-X reef safe?

Reaction score
Hi

I bought Ich-X with a reef safe sticker on. Has anyone tried it in a reef tank? Did it affect any corals or stuff like clams?

Maybe this can assist...look at point 1

DIRECTIONS FOR USE
To treat “ich” disease (ichthyophthiriasis) of freshwater fishes and “marine ich” disease (cryptocaryonaisis) of marine fishes, add one (1) teaspoon (~5 mL) of Ich-X to 10 gallons of aquarium water. For Best Results: (1) always treat in a separate quarantine/treatment tank, (2) remove activated carbon from filters and clean or replace mechanical filtration media (do not stop filtration!) (3) make at least 1/3 water change before each addition of Ich-X (use Ultimate to condition new water (4) repeat treatments at least every 24 hours, but no more often than every 8 hours, depending upon the course of the disease (refer to the Ich-X Product Data Sheet).

I read the same last week. Went and spoke to my local shop where I bought it. The claim to use it in there tanks with corals and seem not to have any issues when using it in a reef tank.

Even if it was reef safe (Not arguing this point as it may be reef safe) does it actually even work? Ask anyone that's been in this game long enough and the simple answer is you do not treat/medicate your fish in a reef tank. QT tank or rather leave fish in display tank and try build up the fish immunity with foods so it can fight off the white spot itself.

Im sorry...but ive tried leaving fish in the display and tried the feeding thing to keep immunity up. To me its a bit like playing russion roulette. You roll the dice and if you lucky you survive.
I followed this advise twice of keeping fish in tank and trying to keep them fat to fight the disease. And both times i lost half my fish. So i am not so sure giving somone that advise is the right thing to do.

Im sorry...but ive tried leaving fish in the display and tried the feeding thing to keep immunity up. To me its a bit like playing russion roulette. You roll the dice and if you lucky you survive.
I followed this advise twice of keeping fish in tank and trying to keep them fat to fight the disease. And both times i lost half my fish. So i am not so sure giving somone that advise is the right thing to do.

If using Cupramine/copper was 100% successful I would recommend this first but I can tell you more stories of people and even experienced people killing fish in QT tanks than leaving them in their display tanks.

1 thing people forget when trying to boost immunity they are over feeding the tank and water quality takes a big knock. It is very important to feed well but also manage the water quality. A good UV sterilizer goes a long way...

Good to know - So far I have had no signs of white spot. So its good to know before hand. Any new fish I'll def put into QT for 4 weeks min

Good to know - So far I have had no signs of white spot. So its good to know before hand. Any new fish I'll def put into QT for 4 weeks min

Good idea, once you have a nice established tank you want to be careful with introducing anything that is wet...

Should one QT corals as well for 4 weeks? of are they safe if they are dipped?

If you want to keep white spot out of the display, anything wet will have to be qt-ed for around 3 months. That means you need a proper fishless tank with stable parameters if you want to say qt SPS. So IMO that makes it really difficult to have an enjoyable hobby. For me ozone is the one differentiating factor that improves water quality enough that white spot is not a problem, even more than a UV sterilizer.

Back
Top Bottom