Ich in a tank with water and live rock

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by NitroNarcer, 25 May 2013.

1. NitroNarcer

NitroNarcer

Hi All

I have a question about marine ich.

Can marine ich only be present if there is a host? The reason I want to know is a friend of mine had ich in his bare bottom tank with live rock. He raised the temp to about 30c and started to dose with Herbtana.

Sadly he lost his fish so he turned the tank off and its been like that for about 2 weeks now. He is selling his equipment and live rock and I am quite interested but I am worrying about transferring the ich to my tank.

Can ich be transfered to my tank from the live rock in his tank. His tank has had no heater, light, filtration or circulation in 2 weeks. Could ich of survived this time period?

Also could it be on his wave makers, protein skimmer and return pump?

Thank you.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Rather leave the rocks and equipment out for six weeks, turn on the heater again so life cycle can move on to the stage before the host. At this stage the parasite won't find a host and our will die.

4. NitroNarcer

NitroNarcer Thread Starter

I was thinking the same to give it more time to recover and make sure the parasite is gone. Its been in a bucket since this afternoon. The bucket has a wave maker in it with a heater and salinity is round abotu 1.007 - 1.009. Temperature is about 34C. Anything else I can do to aid it?

5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Temperature can speed up the cycle of the whitespot, but will also kill other beneficial critters in the rock. Rather have the temp below 28.

And keep the rock in the bucket for 6 weeks. Powerhead and correct salinity is al you need. Remember to do your RO top ups for the bucket as well

Last edited: 25 May 2013
  7. NitroNarcer

Fantastic. I will drop the temp a few degrees. Can I drop the salinity lower? Or is where it is now acceptable?

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

no
    the same critters that do not appreciate the high temperatures would not appreciate the lowered salinity either.
    The rock is cured, And alive with bacteria. Do not kill them, else you have to cycle the rock as well. OK it is 6 weeks, but why run the risk of algae outbreak on the rock due to loads and loads of dead critters in the rock?

9. NitroNarcer

Thanks for the help Riaan. I got to the bucket this morning and it smells rather bad. The liverock had some red slime algae on it and now it has none left on it. The temp is 28C and the salinity is still the same. Is this bad?

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

If the rocks stinks... then you killed it. Sound funny, how can you kill a rock.

Nope, the bacteria, sponges, copepods and what not inside did not make the high temperature. 34 is borderline on killing everything.

You might end up with a complete cycle. Do a water change, and let it cycle for 6 weeks or until no more ammonia.

Recent Posts