Ich Help

Reaction score
Morning Everyone,

Yup, so here we go. I hang my head in shame as i admit that i got an ich breakout after the introduction of a new fish to the tank.

After some medications that were bought there has been no improvement.

I am going to do try the tank transfer method as described by @RiaanP for 14 days. So off to buy buckets etc.

A bit of a stupid question, the display tank will still have the ich parasite whilst i am treating the fish via ttm. Will they die with no host? How best to treat the display tank?

Is it recommended to use the ttm on all the fish or only those with ich?

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Will they die with no host? How best to treat the display tank?
You must run the display fallow for 60 days, preferrebly 72 to ensure that the parasite dies off.

Is it recommended to use the ttm on all the fish or only those with ich?
You must treat all the fish, which allows the fallow period. If you don't treat all the fish the others will simply get infected and prevent you from getting rid of the parasite.

All the fish needs to be removed.

Push up the tank temperature to 28 degrees and you do not need to run 60 days. At 28 you speed up the lifecycle of WS a lot. 6 weeks would be enough in that case. But yeah difference between 6 weeks and 8 weeks are not that much really.

I have a small ich problem at the moment, I want to take out all my corals to my second tank and drop the tank to hypo and leave the fish. Just wondering what would this do to my live rock?

I have a small ich problem at the moment, I want to take out all my corals to my second tank and drop the tank to hypo and leave the fish. Just wondering what would this do to my live rock?

There will be quite a bit of die off, as no bristle worms, pods or other critters will survive. So it will cause quite a cycle.

Wonder if I should just let it go for now as its seems like the immune system is strong enough at the moment. Currently using some focus and metroplex with garlic guard.

Last edited:
Wonder if I should just let it go for now as its seems like the immune system is strong enough at the moment. Currently using some focus and metroplex with garlic guard.

As long as the fish keep on eating they should get over it soon.

ok well then I will just leave them as they are all very healthy and fat

Back
Top Bottom