Ich free systems

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Jinx, 27 Jul 2014.

1. Jinx

Jinx

I was just wondering how many of us have Ich free systems.In general I would say not many of us would be able to achieve this.As most fish we buy are infected with these parasites.It's not always visible and could be located in the gills of the fish.

At times it may seem that one would be Ich free,and then you'll have a sudden outbreak.That would be mostly when the fish are stressed for some reason and they are more vulnerable for attack by these parasites.

To feed fish vitamins and garlic enriched food does help to boost their immune systems and to fight against these parasites, but will never rid ones system of them.Just wait and see when one introduce a new fish for example and stress the other inmates,then the ich will be back in full force.

*Point one it would be impossible to achieve a ich free system without a quarantine system.

*Even corals and other inverts would need to be quarantined for a certain period as most petshops keep fish with their inverts, or all the tanks are linked to one filtration system there for only a drop of water containing free swimming parasites will contaminate the whole reef setup.It would be best to place invertebrates under quarantine for about 4 to 5 weeks without any fish in order to cause all the free swimming parasites to die without a host.

I removed all my fish from the main system and are having them now under hyposalinity treatment for two weeks now.So far so good,no more scratching against anything nor do they have any more spots on their bodies.I'm going to keep the water at 11.5ppt for about 5 weeks.After that I'll slowly bring the salinity back to 35ppt.As for the main system it will be without fish for 8 weeks.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Vetrix

Vetrix

Dealing with the same issues. QT really does wonders, if only I had done so from the start then I would not have to be dealing with the dreaded white spot.

No QT yet, so I am trying some alternative treatments, everyone says it wont work but I dont have many options at the moment.

Prodibio Spots and Velvet, Metronidazole, garlic and plenty feeding. Hoping for the best.

4. Jinx

Jinx Thread Starter

It will help your fish and you might clear all the signs of these parasites but your system wont be ich free.

5. Vetrix

Vetrix

As you said most systems have it present. Apparently if after 11 months you have added no new fish and therefore new parasites then the parasites will be unable to reproduce and you will have a ich fee system. Not sure how true that is.

6. Jinx

Jinx Thread Starter

I dont think its true,these parasites doesnt need any new parasites to reproduce.As long as they have a host they will reproduce

7. Vetrix

Vetrix

I mean, they loose their ability to reproduce after 11 months provided that no new hosts are added.

Read here

Quote from that site.

"Burgess and Matthews (1994) were attempting to maintain a viable population of C. irritans which could be used in later studies. To maintain the parasite populations, they needed host fish in order for the trophonts to feed and continue the life cycle. Each host fish was only used once in a process of serial transition such that none of the hosts would die or develop an immunity. While the procedure worked very well and enabled them to maintain populations for some time, the viability of the populations decreased with time and none of the 7 isolates they used survived more than 34 cycles, around 10 to 11 months. They suggest this is due to senescence and aging in cell lines is well recognised in Ciliophora."

8. Fred d

Fred d

@RiaanP made a study and posted a good quality thread on the subject ... the long and short of it is that the pest will end after about a month or so without a host . Also , you guys might consider a qt to stop the pest from entering your system

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. Jinx

Jinx Thread Starter

I personally think it is a waste of money to be in this hobby without a qt tank.

10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

This subject is always interesting. Many answers....

11. Fred d

Fred d

Ich is very treatable and if your fish are healthy they should pull through .

12. Riaanv

Riaanv

Yip many different answers. I have never had an ich free system. The 11 month scenario is interesting. If I feed less than 3 times a day varied diet after a while it comes back. Feed more it seems to go away. Powder blue gets it first and in many instances the only one to show signs. Yet to lose an established fish to WS. Touch wood:)

13. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

14. King_Triton

King_Triton

Strange thing happens in my tank too. When I add some sensitive tangs they pick up white spots in the first 3 days. Then it all disappears and they fish never get it again.

Guess if the fish is healthy and you get it eating a good diet quickly they fight it off.

15. Jinx

Jinx Thread Starter

Just a update fish are doing fine with the hypo and ich is gone.Two weeks to go

Recent Posts