I want to up my filtration and polish my water.

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by Dlaria, 2 Oct 2011.

1. Dlaria

Dlaria

I want to up my filtration and polish my water. I've got the skimmer, refugeum, dsb, passive carbon/phos bags; but I have a full bio-load, a tendency to over feed, and a bit of cyano in the refugeum (on the cheato) :p I was thinking of adding a canister filter. Can I run phos remover/carbon/zeolite and floss in a canister filter? What's the difference between a phos reactor and a canister filter?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

nothing actiually, a canister filter is fitted with a pump and is perfect for use with chemical media. sice you will be maintaining it monthly... the peoblem in tha past was when people became lazy to change the media within the canister and we started seeing more and more people turn these fiulters into nitrate factories..

toppdogg likes this.
  4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Does your cheato tumble at all. I find if my cheato doesnt tumble if traps detritus and it gets cyno on it.

5. brentch

brentch

tagging!

6. Dlaria

Dlaria Thread Starter

I could never get the cheato to tumble. I put a small nano powerhead in there to improve flow, but I accidentally broke it off the mount. Even with that, it wouldn't tumble. Just installed a Penn-plax cascade 1000 canister filter. Pumps 265 gph and is rated for up to 100 gal tank. Since I've only got like 64.5 or so, I think it'll do the job. Pretty sure I'll have to test and dose regular, until I figure out how it's effecting the water.

7. Dlaria

Dlaria Thread Starter

Wow! What a difference! In 20 min, the skimmer is pulling nothing at all out and I'd just blown off all of my LR with a baster. Prior, the skimmer was filling up twice a day and I could hear it going to town. The canister is pretty quiet, too. It put out a lot of micro-bubbles at first, but that stopped pretty quick.

8. Dlaria

Dlaria Thread Starter

Wonder if I should just run this thing part of the time, or all of the time? I probably better dose some bacteria, after it runs a bit. I'm afraid it'll pull too much out...

Last edited: 2 Oct 2011
  9. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I've also got something similar..Tetra EX 700 Filter Canister...works like a dream...my water was clear within 10min...Mine is on permanently as it's my Filtration System...I did have a "mini-bacteria cycle"..remember to leave you'r current Filtration in...I think for a week...before you remove it...

10. Dlaria

Dlaria Thread Starter

I didn't have any filtration running at all, except dsb, skimmer, refugeum, and a bag of carbon sitting in the refugeum return.

11. mandarinman

mandarinman

I dont use any filter wool at all In my tank. I want the goodies to float in water column for corals tofeed on but if you are using a canister filter you shluld have filter wool at the entrance to prevent them getting caught up in yourmedia .this will extend life of media. Just change filter wool fairly regularly.

12. Dlaria

Dlaria Thread Starter

The water in the canister runs through carbon, floss pad, coarse bio sponge, floss pad, gfo/carbon/zeolite, floss pad, then back to the tank. Next time I change it, I'll put the floss pad below the first carbon bag. Thanks for the tip! :)

13. Dlaria

Dlaria Thread Starter

Can used carbon be rejuvenated?

14. Dlaria

Dlaria Thread Starter

KEwl! The yellow water is gone! :thumbup:

15. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

No...I don't think so...

16. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

in the past it was said that boiling carbon would rejuvenate it to an extent. the more it was reworked the less absorbtion power it had.. (ie 1st was made it 90% effective and second 50% and so on and so on... 3 times being the most it could be "recharged"...) im not too sure what the current consensious is wrt this these days as we knew very little about FW and the impurities it added to our systems during top up and chemical filter washing processes..

so perhaps a debate laying in wait here...?

Recent Posts