I want to get something for my clowns to hang out in they won't irritate to death.

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Dlaria, 27 Aug 2011.

1. Dlaria

Dlaria

I want to get something for my clowns to hang out in they won't irritate to death. I'm scared to get a nennie (and too young a tank anyway). I've heard nennies can park it on my corals and I don't want that. What's a good LPS? I've heard hammers and torch, but then heard the clowns will irritate them until they die.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Keanan

Keanan 2time

How about a pincushion, heard they take really well to it.

Boegie and viper357 like this.
  4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Yip, pin cushion/toadstool will be perfect, here's my 2 clowns loving it

Last edited: 11 Apr 2016
    Big Blue likes this.
  5. Dlaria

Dlaria Thread Starter

Perfect!
    :D

6. Keanan

Keanan 2time

Thats one nice pincushion Dean. Love those clowns.

7. crispin

crispin

8. Dlaria

Dlaria Thread Starter

Must be my 'oldtimers' kicking in... But I have listened and didn't get a nennie, and I moved the clam - so it wouldn't irritate it anymore. I then got a larger kenya tree, which looks like a finger leather. So, I not only listened - I implemented. :) When I looked up pincushion, it pulled up urchins - which I'd not felt comfortable with something that eats coraline, and it didn't look like a safe or comfortable thing for the clowns to be wiggling around in; being all spiky and such. I'm sure at that point, my adult onset add probably kicked in and I got distracted by threads for hammers and torches as hosts. Then today I read yet more posts here about how clowns have caused the deaths of those due to the irritation you'd clued me in on, so I asked for more ideas. I didn't want to get something for the fish that the fish would in turn kill. So, really... I listened to every word, but the picture Viper posted helped me get where you were trying to send me. :)

Last edited: 28 Aug 2011
  9. Amoré

Amoré

They love leather corals, get a nice BIG one!

10. Anita

Anita Sponsor

Hi, in all my years of keeping/breeding clowns, I have never had a anemone kill a coral by sitting on it. In nature clowns go to the anemone which is part of the symbiotic relationship that they share, it protects the clowns, the clowns feed it and it is a perfect host for the clowns to breed next to. Think about it, but in my opinion, an anemone is the way to go (just don't go getting a sticky carpet), good luck Anita

11. jacoc

jacoc

host

They also like Giant Elephant Ear Shrooms..and can't iretate them...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Ofcourse you realise that there is no reason they might host the leather or pin cushion of your choice.

13. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Anemones are NOT recommended in a new tank, they require mature, stable systems.

gMAN and Amoré like this.
  14. crispin

crispin

true clowns might like a nice big elephant ear to host in, but its far far more likley that the elephant ear would like all small fish in the aquairium to also host in it.....deep in itd belly where it can be digested slowly.

i wouldnt suggest a nennie or elephant ear mushroom as an appropriate host for clowns, especially not is a new system and in the hands of an inexperienced reefer

15. crispin

crispin

true, but given time they are likely to take to a host coral in the absence of other things. At the moment they are trying to host in a beautiful clam, which i am of the opinion will lead to damage of the clam and the possible loss of the clam.

a decent sized soft coral (there are a number of options) placed in the tank may take a while for the clowns to host in but they should do so. Mine took two months before going into my pincushion and still go from pin cushion to kenyan tree as they please.

16. Dlaria

Dlaria Thread Starter

I just want fish and host to be happy. I'll give the fish options and decide down the road on the nennie. It's a Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish, so I'll have to make sure if I do get one, I get the right one.

PS. Looking at the anemone listed for this fish, it doesn't look like there are any that are not too big for my tank. It's only L 4' W 1' Ht 2'. I'm also a bit nervous about having things in the tank that might eat the other inhabitants.

17. crispin

crispin

great decision there :)

18. jacoc

jacoc

Yes if its dead and end up on top of the shroom it will close up and eat it, as it thinks its food...But Alive! ..I don't think so...It doesn’t have the sting and hold a nenni has...even my coral beauty is in and out and constantly around the shrooms, and the lawnmower blenny would rest on them for long periods at a time...the cleaner wrass will dive in and take food when i’m feeding that lands on the shrooms from them...

19. crispin

crispin

hi jaco, i ma not saying that yours dont host your clowns and seem to be doing well. I am however saying that there is a lotof information saying that hairy mushrooms (like you have) Rhodactis sp or elephant ear mushrooms will eat fish. sometimes even the clowns they host and especially at night. I did a very quick search on reef central and heres just one link randomly selected out of lots of them..... Rhodactis mushrooms: clownfish-safe? - Reef Central Online Community

that last quote 'If the mushroom can catch a clown, it will eat it. It's not daytime that you need to worry about - it's night. The larger the mushroom the greater the risk. I no longer keep elephant ear shrooms because they ate clowns like popcorn. ' from that thread doesnt sound like its the best advice to give for a clown to host in. In my view anyway.

so i am saying that I dont this a rhodactis mushroom or a true elephant ear mushroom would be my first point of advice to a new reefer looking to get something to host his clowns untill he feels ready to take on the challenges a nenie gives a reefer. There are better corals out there than hairy mushrooms, IMHO

Last edited: 29 Aug 2011
    zayd and Boegie like this.
  20. Dlaria

Dlaria Thread Starter

The clown found where I'd moved the clam. He was sleeping in it this morning when I woke up. lol

[​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Aug 2011
  21. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

:lol: That's why they are called clowns, funny and colourfull (or colorful, out there in the lone star state)!
    Seriously, they don't need any symbiotic home, but they will use "soemthing" they feel secure in!

Recent Posts