I want a tropical tank

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Uda, 3 Feb 2012.

1. Uda

Uda

Hi all,

I'm new to the aquarium thing and actually got one coz i had to. My mom got my 3 year old daughter two goldfish in a bowl. After the first night they spent at our home, I woke to find them in my soap dish, motionless... My little girl saying "They were smelling mum, so I washed them". To cut a long story short, I rushed to the local pet store and after following their advice religiously, saved two fish from dying of tail and fin rot. :yeahdude: I would like to have neon tetras. What changes in my tank set up and temperature?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. JohnDoe

JohnDoe

Hi,

As far as I know, neons can survive in cold water but warm water is preferred. They like to be kept in a shoal, so get at least 5. Also, if you have space get a plant in there (not plastic).

If you want to keep tropical fish, I suggest putting in a heater and some sort of filter.

You will need to do a 20% water change at least once a month as well, depending on the state of the water.

4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

5. Uda

Uda Thread Starter

What plants to use for tank with neon tetras?

Thanks John Doe. What plants should I use for tank with neon tetras? Anubias? And how do the plants stay rooted in the water? It will be the first time using a heater, thermometer, etc.

6. Uda

Uda Thread Starter

I need to work my way up to marine... LOL

7. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Enjoy...:thumbup:..once the bug bites...;)...pity the wallet can't keep up with all the lovely "candy"...:p...really some stunning Fish and Corals..:)

8. Uda

Uda Thread Starter

LOL

Wallet! :eek: OMG I know... I will be broke!

9. Ares

Ares

@Uda

If you want to go for neons and other tropical fish , you would need to have a heater , they say that neons can survive in cooler waters of about 18C but i have found that they do much better in waters of about 22C - 24C . However goldfish do not enjoy the warmer water and would be alot more stressed . My suggestion is to put the goldfish in a goldfish bowl ( depending on the amount of goldies you have ) and then using the tank for tropical . You would need a little filter and a heater for the tank , as stated before neons do much better in shoals .

Neons in my opinion prefer bushy plants such as java ferns . Though if going the planted root , you would need some lighting , depending on the size of the tank (depth ) one 6500K t5 tube should be enough . Also you would need a deepish substrate about 5 - 6 cm for the roots to grow and secure the plant , another option is using small pots , have seen some tanks that look really good . You can also go the non - planted root and make use of ceramic pots , rocks and bogwood to create hiding spots for them as well .

Also when setting up the tank , wait at least a week before adding the fish so that temperature and ph can settle .

Neons also do well with other species of tetra's ( family name ) and are very peaceful fish , at home I am running an 3 ft tetra tank atm , and i find it real relaxing to watch the different tetra's shoal together .

Tetra's are generally very easy , peaceful community fish that are compatable with most other species such as danios , bettas , gouramies, barbs , gappies .

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts