I need your 5 cents

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by ShLiMi333, 9 Jun 2016.

1. ShLiMi333

ShLiMi333

So for the past couple of weeks i'm planning on upgrading. the upgrade will only happening late Dec or early Jan.

The tank I'm looking at getting is standard size 120x50x60. what type of glass do i use. can i use the standard tanks they sell at lfs or do i need to custom?
    But instead of doing the whole sump thing I will use a HOB skimmer and also a decent canister filter.

The Skimmer i plan on using is the Reef Octopus BH-2000
    The Canister filter Will be rated 2000l/h, 4 stage with UV light
    Then the power heads will be 2 x WP10

As for the lighting i need the veterans' advice. what do you recommend for this size aquarium. (im in the fitness industry so my income is dependent on both my arms and legs)

Live sand or play sand?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Why no sump? It just makes it so much easier.

Express Reef likes this.
  4. ShLiMi333

ShLiMi333 Thread Starter

The canister filter will make it even more easier. especially for my wife when im away on cleaning days:lol: Bare in mind im at the shop around 10-14 hours a day and i still need to make time for my family, so im looking for quick yet effecient. I spoke to a bloke whos been using this method for close to 2 years

The Canister filter only holds 20l of water where as a decent size sump runs around at 120l

Last edited: 9 Jun 2016
  5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Canister filter is more work than a proper lay out sump.
    Plus the more water, the better.

NJH and Express Reef like this.
  6. Brendan6

Brendan6

I shall give you my 10cents and I need your 5 cents in return for a fair exchange.

What are the reasons for your chosen dimensions? Are there spacial issues or is it to keep the tank from getting to expensive to equip and stock? Also heating 1000L of water in winter is not cheap...

Lighting, well on a tank that size you could go for a standard T5 unit, the tank will be lit perfectly. What I am planning is using my Zetlight with a dual T5 unit with ATI bulbs on my 1.3m tank. Zetlight for the bulk power whilst the T5's give that extra ooomfph and fills the tank and all the shaded areas.

We will always recommend going with a sump, you do not want to see any equipment in your tank like heaters and pickup pumps. You could even make the tank a bit wider and have a sump at the back of the tank.

7. ShLiMi333

ShLiMi333 Thread Starter

LOL. i must admit. i dont know jack squat about a sump. so in all honesty the canister filter is neater looking. the tank will only be 360L

8. ShLiMi333

ShLiMi333 Thread Starter

the internal sump acts on the exact same principal as the canister filter

Vleis Visagie likes this.
  9. WRASSEKID

WRASSEKID

no rather think it thru. you will soon realize the benefits for having a sump. more freedom when you change equipment(not if, cause its guaranteed:D)

where will you be getting live stock from in Welkom?

10. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

My previous tank never had a sump. I wish it did. There was heaters, skimmers, filter etc all in the tank. It just looks much neater with all of this in the sump.

Also, canister filters can become a nitrate trap. Because that's what their job is, to trap detritus. The flow going through there is too quick for an anaerobic bacteria to populate and you will have nitrate problems.

Why are you so keen on a canister? It's easier to add a sump before you start. Instead of a few months in and then you realise your mistake.

EFJ likes this.
  11. ShLiMi333

ShLiMi333 Thread Starter

no normally get stuff when im in pta and jhb

my issue lays with plumbing etc. what happens if my return pump gives the ghost when im not at home?

12. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

13. WRASSEKID

WRASSEKID

Eskom and your local Matjhabeng municipality will be far more unreliable than any return pump. so don't worry about things like that?

take your time and make wise decisions. maybe a cube shaped tank will suit you better for starters 700 x 600 x 500 deep

14. Brendan6

Brendan6

I would never recommend setting up a tank smaller than what your budget allows as you usually want to upgrade, so push it as big as you can.

Read up on sumps, you owe it to future you.

15. reefer101

reefer101 Archangel

If you dont have place for a sump, make an internal sump with perspex sheet. You can have your surface skimmed, hide heaters, hide hob skimmer piping, plus diy a media rack if you need one and add a filter sock somehow so your wife will only have tp clean the sock

16. ShLiMi333

ShLiMi333 Thread Starter

@RiaanP if its cool with you id like to come visit you and have a look at your setup just to get a better understanding of what the plumbing should look like. im in midstream every second month or less to visit fam. i will however read up more on plumbing.

If perhaps you guys have links or plans for sumps please shaare

17. ShLiMi333

ShLiMi333 Thread Starter

whats the purpose of LR in sump?

18. Brendan6

Brendan6

To catch detritus if you do not clean regularly. But it harbors bacteria that aids filtration.

Best to keep it in a high flow area and on egg crate.

EFJ likes this.
  19. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

A few points

Go wider than you thought 800mm is gonna offer you more scope to scape and you'll be able to keep most small fish as they grow to their adult size

Try add a sump it allows you scope to change with the times as new equipment develops and as you start understanding things better

I'm not a fan of anything in the sump besides a skimmer heater and return pump but you'll have the option for fragging or a refuge um should you so want.

If the return pump dies make it easy enough to fit another and perhaps keep a spare duplicate if you are concerned.

You can still use a canister but it needs to be cleaned regularly. Most cannisters don't push the water through that they claim leaving your water under filtered. I'd rather run on with a sump than instead of a sump

Ultimately it's up to you but a slightly bigger system will tide you one untill you learn enough untill you can upgrade (and you will it's a given!!!)

Good luck it's alot to absorb take your time and sift through the replies and find what works for you

tekkengal and EFJ like this.
  20. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

Incorrect this should be k

Incorrect

The LR should be kept as clean and dirt free as possible or the biofilm will be smothered by detritus

Use a filter sock or allocate an area to allow dirt to settle before getting to your skimmer or other media.

The cleaner the media is kept the optimally it will perform

21. Brendan6

Brendan6

Yep. Clean the live rock or it becomes a detritus trap. Egg crate and high flow. I like sarcasm...

Recent Posts