I need some good advice

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by LuckyFish, 22 Mar 2010.

1. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Guys,

I was not sure where to post this and I thought Oom Hennie is very popular, so you might find my post easily.

I am a bit in trouble right now. I am looking for a temporary solution, roughly 4 to 6 months.
    When I build my small hatchery, I had not a clue what huge bioload I will produce in there. I mean, I am not so worried about my grow out system, but my broodstock system is giving me a head ache. 50 mg nitrate per litre is a bit to much. And it will climb higher, because I added a few more fish.
    I have no gravel or liverock and my skimmer is also working on his limit. BM 250 Bubble magus in sump skimmer. The whole system got 1.400 litre and 8 big pairs swimming in there. The main problem is probably the larval rearing plumbed together with the broodstock system. I keep the fry in there until they are weaned and move them then into the grow out system.
    I was thinking of using an denitrator with ORP controller. That might be probably the best option, but not the cheapest. Water changes are becoming a problem, because space is an issue and my sumps are keeping only 10% of the total volume.

I also dont want to use vodka, because bacteria population in the larvae rearing tanks are a big problem.

That´s a really tricky task and the whole system has got nothing to do with a reef tank. At least I learned a lot and my next big hatchery will be planned much better and space won´t be an issue.

Any suggestions???

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Not sure if this will help. But Calfo spoke of a DSB in a bucket for hatcheries like yours at imacsa last year. Here is a thread he referred to.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=595109

If you decide to go the nitrate filter route a cheep system can be made out of an old canister filter. I will get some PVC bits and do a DIY thing so that you guys get an idea.

4. Anemone

Anemone

Is there any other filtration besides the skimmer? I certainly understand water changes becoming a problem. My seahorse fry tanks got 5 water changes a day, one after each feeding.

5. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

How bout a bit of chaeto in the sumps im sure this will eat at your nitrates. And then u can just keep harvesting it to remove the nitrate from the system.

6. FransSny

FransSny

Marcel, a denitrator would probably be the best option IMHO (but not the cheapest :p)

I take it you dont have space for a remote DSB ? How about a scrubber

7. nakoma

nakoma

The world’s reefs and oceans maintain a perfect balance of metabolic “waste” materials and nutrients via a series of recycling systems. The marine aquarium however, is quite different than nature relying on synthetic sea salt, artificial lighting, frozen foods, and an extremely high specimen to water ratio. While inorganic ammonia and nitrite are easily managed with “biological filtration” many organic compounds tend to accumulate resisting microbial degradation. These natural metabolic compounds remain largely unidentified but include organic acids, phenolics, proteins, carbohydrates, hormones, and antibiotic compounds. Few of these organics are directly toxic to marine specimens but can stimulate the growth of heterotrophic bacteria thus increasing demand for oxygen in the aquarium, producing carbon dioxide, lower pH, and lowering redox potential. Excess organics tax ozonation and foam fractionating systems. Certain organics that tint aquarium water yellow also reduce light penetration especially Actinic (420nm) type lighting. It is difficult to determine exactly which organic compounds are present in the aquarium and what specific effects they might have on different organisms. It had been observed that “organic laden” aquariums experience more disease problems and reduced fish growth while invertebrates close or cease reproduction. Some researchers believe that there is a direct relationship between high levels of organics and dense populations of disease organisms in aquaria. Reduction of naturally occurring organic compounds ultimately leads to improved water quality and healthier specimens. Activated carbon filtration is one of the most effective and easiest methods of removing organics from aquarium systems.

8. Dane

Dane

Wow, after reading that thread on remote DSB its certainly changed the way I'm going to do things!! Surely you can find space to stick an old black bin somewhere (outside even)? SO cheap and effective! But thats going to take a while to kick in... How bout running denitrifying until the RDSB kicks in? I don't think the ATS or cheato will give the results you'd expect from a RDSB...

9. Sentari

Sentari

Ive been using Seachem Purigen for the last few months and have seen my nitrates drop dramtically! You can also regenerate the stuff. Just a thought!

10. SIMS

SIMS

Renote DSb IMO

11. LuckyFish

LuckyFish Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Thanks for the advice.
    Algae is not a solution due to space and bioload.
    To give you guys an idea. The amount of food for each pair daily, is roughly the amount what you guys would feed in a good stocked 375 litre tank.

12. LuckyFish

Sounds interesting. Somebody an idea how this product works?

13. FransSny

FransSny

14. LuckyFish

We use to share a denitrator in germany. Everytime, when the nitrate went out of the normal level, we plumbed the denitrator in betweeen until the level was zero.
    That was back in 1995, when I started. After a while, there was no need to use the deni any more. In my case, heavy feeding is a must and I could not believe, what a 10 cm ocellaris can eat per day. Lanzo saw what amount of food i use and he was shocked.
    So less food is also not an option. Is there anybody in CT who is running a deni?
    Could I borrow the deni?
    Not sure if a RDSB will do the job. Besides pellets and live food, I feed around 100 gram homemade food every day.

15. SIMS

SIMS

I think the Purigen will work out expensive over 6 months...

16. SIMS

SIMS

Marcel I read RDSB's do the job very well.

17. magman

magman

Hi Marcel, I have a huge bio load too, and am encourging algea growth in my sump, as an idea maybe plumb somthing external outside under some perspex, where the sun can grow the agea, let it grow crazy. I don't think a DSB would be nearly as strong or effective in reducing the excess nutrients as algea would be.

18. LuckyFish

ATS??? Whats that?
    I am sure, cheato won´t do the job. On the other hand. I could place cheato in each broodstock tank, but I was warned to not use any liverock, gravel or algae in the systems.

19. LuckyFish

Why?
    I just read it can be regenerated.

I still don´t understand how it works.

20. LuckyFish

21. FransSny

FransSny

Purigen is an organic polymer for removing organics. It is similar to activated carbon both in what it binds and how, but more effective due to its structure & mico pores....hope I make sense

Can be used in an reactor as well

Recent Posts