i need help

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by edyta2382, 23 Jun 2010.

1. edyta2382

edyta2382

hello my fish got whit spots the spots come and go fish are eating well
    i don't know what to do anymore i been dosing hebtana -microbe lift and no effect
    i don;t wont to move the fish and stress them my salnity is 1.24 can i lower the salnity will that afect my inverts and corals how much can i lower.
    please somone let me know i been posting for help and no replys

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. sihaya

sihaya

You mean 1.024, right? If so, don't lower your salinity in your system. Raise the salinity in your system to 1.026. If you think you have marine ich, set up a hospital tank and gradually lower the salinity in that tank. Follow these instructions:
    About Hyposalinity or Osmotic Shock Therapy - A Simple, Effective, Non-Chemical Treatment for Ich

4. edyta2382

edyta2382 Thread Starter

thank you for the reply the thing is i don't wont to remove the fish from the tank it will stop the from eating and stress them
    last time i lost my powder blue from stress when i moved it to the qt tank
    my fish are goldrim tang yellow tang and a baby regal so it would be the best if i could beat this whitout moving the fishes im sure you know tangs are sensetive
    to those things please any other ways to do this .Edyta :(

5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Don't lower the salinity as you have inverts and corals. Do you have cleaner shrimps? Loooong time ago one of my tangs got white spot and my cleaners took care of it. As long as the fish are eating well and they get the right food with the needed vitamins they should be OK.

6. maj

maj

just dose all the food u giving in garlic and giv them some vitamin boost with ther food.
    Keep them eating,but not excessive feeding and keep tank paramaters in check

7. sihaya

sihaya

Ditto. And maybe I should have said this too... there's truth to the idea that fish (any animal really) are more prone to disease when they're stress and/or starved. I'd raise your salinity a bit in your main tank and just try to keep the water as high quality as possible.

And again, you can't do hyposalinity shock treatment in a display tank with inverts (or in any display tank really-- because even bare bottom tanks are going to have live rock invert life you don't want to kill).

As for garlic... I don't think it hurts anything, but I'm not convinced it helps either. Raw garlic helps human immune systems. There's no real reason or proof that it does much of anything for fish. But there's nothing to say for certain that it doesn't either.

8. sihaya

sihaya

I'm sorry about your fish loss... but I don't know what else to say except that you need to move them to a hospital tank. Nothing you do in the main tank will be effective. Even if you remove the crushed coral (which I might recommend anyway), the life stages of the parasite can live on live rock and just about any substrate. You really need to set up a hospital tank and do a proper hyposalinity shock (which would/will likely kill any inverts, seen and unseen, in your display tank).

9. edyta2382

edyta2382 Thread Starter

Hello ok now i have moved all my fish to the qt tank the yellow tang has gone pale
    he is still eating the thing is im trying to keep the amonia in control with water changes prime and nutrafin cycle tomorow im going to start lowering the salinity slowly but im still worying about the yello tang way is he pale? .Edyta:(

10. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Why have you got ammonia in your tank? How long has your tank been running?

11. Manic

Manic Moderator

Think it is in the newly setup qt tank.

12. edyta2382

edyta2382 Thread Starter

the qt tank is runing for one week still i been told to remove the fish from the dt tank and treat them in hyposallinty so now im not only fighting whit spot amonia aswell im doing large water changes every day if needed twice a day yellow tang is lost some wheight i feed mysis nori and green algae sheet im going creazy im siting
    by the tank most of thr days at night i don't even sleep cheking on the fish and water .Edyta:(

13. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Please answer these questions.

1. How long has your main display tank been running?

2. How long has your QT tank been running?

3. What tank is the ammonia in?

4. How long was your display tank running before you put fish in?

5. Do you know that a marine tank has to cycle for about 6 weeks before putting any fish in?

14. edyta2382

edyta2382 Thread Starter

My dt tank is nine months old the qt tank is one week old ,the display tank was 6weeks old when i put the first fish in the display tank is fine its the qt tank im talking about , in the qt tank at the moment amonia 0pp after all my effort to keep in chek .edyta

15. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Apologies for butting in on this thread, but edyta2382 also has a thread on this same topic here. In that thread, you made the following statement about one week ago:

Perhaps I'm confused, but this does not quite tie in with your first quoted statement...

I also think that we might be confusing you, and giving seemingly contradictory advise because we do not have all the facts. May I suggest that we rather continue this discussion on only one thread - this one, in Sara's forum.

Hennie

16. sihaya

sihaya

Thank you Viper and RM. I concur. I mean... this is not a good situation here. The only thing I might add (for future reference) is that one should always have filter on the display tank that has a removable sponge or cartridge or something that can be used to start up a hospital tank in a pinch. If you don't have such, you'd have to do like 50% water changes every day.

17. Yellow Tang

Yellow Tang Salt Creep

Hi. Sorry to but in. I agree with keeping the parameters in check. I've never had a problem with white spot when keeping kH, ca, temperature stable.

Recent Posts