I need a Brain !!

Reaction score
Brain coral for beginners ? Any suggestions on make and model ? Servicing requirements etc. Fuel ? Substrate ? Additives ?

Thanks

Right, lets start with the easy bits, to save me searching, how big is your tank? what lighting do you have? how long has the tank been running? what else-corals,inverts and fish- do you have?

All these are important to start recommending what corals will be suitable

400l, 800 x 800 x 630mm, 50kg LR, Running for 6 months, DNW200, 110l sump with DSB and algae

Fish - Yellow tang, clown, domini and midas.
2 x hermits (blue), fire shrimp, boxer shrimp, cleaner shrimp, tubeworm

Lighting - MH and T5's

3 x leathers (mushroom and finger)
1 x green star
1 x frogspawn
4 x frag sps (too small to work out make and model)
Loads of other weird LR life forms

one rule must be on substrate

Ricordia yuma.

1044784f6e7a5d86.jpg

Is this what it looks like grown up ?

ric2.jpg

No, that is it grown up - it will reproduce so you get more of them.

Are you anywhere near northlands pets? i just went through the corals they had - they have trachyphillia - which are similar to the open brain (well they look similar)

Edit, late night - i didn't see the piccie properly - YES this is what they look like ( Note, don't half look at a picture when under the affluence of incerhol)

Last edited:
Are you anywhere near northlands pets? i just went through the corals they had - they have trachyphillia - which are similar to the open brain (well they look similar)

Sorry no I am in Joburg, Northlands is about 600km down the road.

I will check them out when next I am in Durban

Hi Warr -the only problems I have with keeping an open-brain, (not that I have one - but that's what I have been telling myself) - is that they might damage easily by what ever (falling rock, hermit crabs, shrimps, fish rubbing against them - thinking they are rocks, etc) - and as such, die.

BUT other than that - I do not think that this coral would be TOO difficult to keep. Except that your water parameters MUST be on par (high calcium, high alkalinity, no nitrates/nitrites/ammonia). I do also not think that this coral needs TOO high light neither TOO high water flow (low to medium water flow)....

Also - it can be fed if you do not have a high number of pods in your tank (no substrate usually equats to very little or no pods)....

Back
Top Bottom