I keep hearing a popping noise coming from my tank...

Reaction score
I keep hearing a popping noise coming from my tank...

I can't see anything in there that's doing it.

At first, I thought it was my larger hermit, banging his shell against the glass, but that's not it. It's louder than that, and he wasn't near the glass when i just heard it.

It's something else...

Just does it once in awhile.

It could be a snail as well. I have seen my snails spin their shell against the glass making a "banging" noise = or you could have a pistol shrimp in your tank. I have a pistol shrimp paired with my yellow watchman goby. He snaps with his claws if something bothers him. Its more a high snapping sound than a pop. Must say he is a wonderful character in my tank. Has never bothered any of my livestock or corals.

Can also be a hitch hiker crab. I have a few small ones and hear snapping coming from different areas of the tank. I once removed a large-ish crab and sumped him. The snapping then started coming from sump as well. So, yes, it can be as Shaun said pistol/mantis or crabs. Check after lights out with a tiny torch. My crabs come out after dark and eat only algae (for now).

my money is on a pistol shrimp.. its a very high pitched snapping sound.. its actually a method used by the shrimp to incapacitate any small gogga around hin so that he can stn and eat them with ease.. it only works with smaller organisims..

annoying but a stunning creature to have and observe..

I say it's a pistol shrimp. Take a small piece of fish and put it on the tip of a long stick like a sosatie or kebab stick and hold it in front of all the holes in the live rock. It is a timeous task I know, but he will come out quick to grab the meat.
I know because I got two and that's how I feed them :)

O ja, just to mention, this won't catch him, only to show you what it is and where it is :)

All I have is cooked shrimp. (Yum!) Will that work? Will it go for raw crab meat?

It should go for any marine type meat - just don't feed it Texan steak :tt2:

All that for a clicking beetle, OUTSIDE the tank. :lol:

At least you know what your noise is. Some of us are still not sure about ours.

Funny I have the same popping sound. there is a difference in the sound from the pistol shrimp that I had and removed. That dang pistol shrimp was a pain in the butt, but very cool. Always undermining my rocks and burying things. So I removed him after two years. But now I still have a popping sound pretty loud actually. I don’t think it’s another pistol shrimp as the sand under the rocks is still unchanged. I thought snails and everything as well; because I’ve seen them and heard them hit the glass but it’s not the same.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom