Urgent help needed I have crabs !!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by quispiam, 19 Jan 2011.

1. quispiam

quispiam

REcently I have been noticing that a few of my fish seem to be disappearing from my DT. Being a slight novice I assumed these guys were just shy. Last week I eventually plucked up the courage to purchase my long awaited Flame Angle and also got two Candy Gobys with it. THey were place into the DT and two days later none of them were around any longer........[​IMG]

Being quite alarmed, I armed myself with my pajama shorts and my maglite and waited until the lights in the DT had gone off ( an hour or so after that) and then went to have a look at what was happening in the taken. Scanning over the rocks, the light caught sight of quite a huge set of mandibles........ a big hairy looking crab was staring at me....pinchers the size of my pink-finger nail........
    First I was quite excited, then after some thought I realized that this can't be good and that in fact this may be the reason why the fish are disappearing....
    Since then I have sopted another baby crab and then one ( this morning) of an in-between size (big enough to have eaten 5 of my new chromis's I put into the DT this past weekend)

Anyone out there know how to catch these night-assasins.......??????[​IMG]

I also have a Concentric Circle Angle that I need to catch (bigger than the palm of a grown man's hand) - had the hook in his mouth 5 times yesterday, but no luck yet. He is eating my new leather and chases the smaller fish around. Never really liked him - was sold to me as a Juvenile Emperor......

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. rakabos

rakabos

Catching the fish with coke bottle method may work (though it has never worked for me). Taking the rocks out to catch the crab and the fish may be your only option

4. Anemone

Anemone

How much live rock do you have in your system?

5. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

thats alot of fish to loose to crabs!
    Best way to get the crab out is to put some meaty food (shrimp or fish) into a glass near where the crab lives. Being greedy and not too smart, the crab will climb into the glass to retreive the food. MAke sure the glasss is tall enough so that the crab cannot climb out.

What is a concentric circle angelfish? Do you have a picture of it?

6. quispiam

quispiam Thread Starter

Probably in the region of 150 - 200kg's. The DT is 3000 x 400 x 700 - so it is quite difficult to catch anything once they are in there as they have lots of space to manouver and get past any net or fishing line.....

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

u can make a crab trap from a whiskey glass and some food, place the food in the cup and leave the cup balancing ona rock at an angle, the crab will get the food but not be able to get out

8. quispiam

quispiam Thread Starter

Guys - sorry have to rush out now but will answer all question relating to this tonight. Thanks for the info so far......

9. Anemone

Anemone

Well, IF you can find the rock that he is hiding in, I would remove it and dip the rock in a salinity of 1.035 to 1.040.

10. Junz

Junz

I saw the title of this thread and thought WTF.... I cracked myself...

11. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

I must admit when I first read the title of this thread I giggled to myself :lol:

I recently removed all my live rock and re-arranged it for my own reasons but while doing that I found a still small (about 45mm) lobster type creature under the one rock. I remember someone saying awhile back that this little critter could cause some serious damage to corals and fish eventually if he / she was hungry enough so I promptly removed him and gave him to the LFS to try and sell ;)

Point is these kind of things can be rather nasty when left to roam your tank. I must admit I was lucky to catch my little "hitchhiker" which arrived with my first batch of live rock. Right now the whiskey glass with food inside sounds like the best plan in my opinion :thumbup:

12. Anemone

Anemone

Mantis shrimp?

13. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

the glass is a prooven technique, i have used it several times and a little patience will go a long way !

14. Jhavenga

Jhavenga

What if one does not know in which rock the "crab" stays? I tried the glass method last night, since I'm suspecting I have a crab (or something) in my tank. I've lost five fish already. My mandarin and later my orchid dottyback disappeared. I've also found some remains of my 2 ocellaris clownfish and my flasher wrasse. All at different times. Water parameters tested fine on all five occassions.

I used frozen food as bait in a glass last night, but that didn't work - the food was still there this morning. :( So tonight I'll try the coke bottle and calamari method. :yeahdude: I've had enough. Whatever it is, he has overstayed his welcome. :kangakiller: I'm going out with all guns blazing.

Good luck with your catch quispiam.

15. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

No not a Mantis in my opinion. It looked more like a small lobster with large pincers compared to its body size. Also the critter I found in my tank was transparent.

16. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

could be a pistol shrimp

17. chas84

chas84

I had a (relatively) similar problem a while ago with fish disappearing. Eventually found my two chromis in the overflow chamber.

18. Falcon

Falcon

glass method should work if he is small enough but larger crabs maybe able to climb out so if he is large maybe use a type of pitcher or jug with similar shape.

As for the angel its really really easy....go to your tank an hour after lights out and see if you can see his hiding spot,or else simply turn on the lights and he will pop his head out of his hiding spot after a few minutes to check whats going on when this happens gently coax him out with a stick or something and immediately net him while he is still sleepy and not quick n responses

If you don't want the fish i'll be glad to take it of you hands as I love big angels.

19. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

i too would be keen on the angel if you really wanted to get rid of him/her.

20. Falcon

Falcon

i called dibs first:tt2:

21. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

Recent Posts