I have a silly ? about water changes

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Dohn, 13 Jul 2009.

1. Dohn

Dohn MASA Contributor

We do a water change to get rid of all the nasty's that have built up over time. (also to replenish Trace Elements)

The Question is, if one were to switch off all the pumps, so that the water colum comes to a stand still, will these nasty's gather in certain layers of the tank (like some salad dressing's) making removing these nasty's more effective.
    Im sure the pumps would have to be off for awhile if it did happen.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tridan

Tridan

I dont think so as son of the nasties are dissolved, doc's ( dissolved organic compounds )
    So i reckon they are everywhere in the water column, but some of the particulate waste might settle in a specific area, ready to be removed easier.

4. Dohn

Dohn Thread Starter MASA Contributor

i was just thinking that maybe they have different density. Maybe the water containing the nasties would settle at the bottom and the better water towards the top, or vice versa

5. Tridan

Tridan

Sorry mate, with regards to the densities in salt water i can not offer you any advice.
    Otherwise good luck and i reckon a few good size water changes and gravel cleans will go a long way.

6. Stressed Eric

Stressed Eric

That's not a bad question. From my side i think it's possible, but the time required to allow the impurities to settle in column would just make it impractical in our tanks

7. Dohn

Dohn Thread Starter MASA Contributor

If that was the case i would make a plan to hold the water in another vessel, like low tide for awhile, lol

8. Submariner

Submariner

Hi Dohn

If you want to do a really efficient water change use your skimmer to wet skim the water out of the tank .

You can also use a power head to pump air into the main display before the water change i have also found this can help clear the water of any other food particles or fish waste etc.

9. dv8

dv8

this sounds interesting, how dose it work

10. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

I do think having the nasties "layer" is possible - but only in the prefect environment.
    Perfect environment meaning that NOTHING is moving the water at all. Remember, that if your fish swim, they still circulate the water. You pulsating corals "fans" that water. Tube Worms / Feather dusters retracting and expanding whilst eating gives movement. So many little critters makes some of those tiny elements move all around. So, Unless you have absolutely nothing in the water column, it is not possible. Then you will need a very long time to make this happen. Weeks maybe?

The other issue is that according to my understanding, those nasties are doc's as mentioned above, and thus they would more than likely be heavier than the good trace elements, thus sinking to bottom. How will you "collect" water at the bottom without stirring / disturbing the top? That is why, imo, we want those heavier doc's to be lifted up and taken into the overlfow, into the skimmer / dsb to get rid of it.

Great thinking though, shows you like the science of the hobby as much as the beauty of it!!! :thumbup:

11. Stressed Eric

Stressed Eric

I've learnt the only silly question is the one you don't ask . . . There's always a better way of doing things and in this hobby the more popular it gets, the more questions get asked about better ways of doing things, the more perspectives are shared and the better we end up doing things. So welcome to the out-of-the-box thinkers club it's great to have you here !

Recent Posts