I got bit!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Faust, 7 Sep 2009.

1. Faust

Faust

Sawubona fellow MASA members

Just popping in to introduce myself. So, before I get bombarded with all the useful information, let me give you a description of my previous experience and future plans regarding this wonderful financial black hole we call a hobby...

I had freshwater planted aquariums all through high school, really helped with the chemistry and biology, you learn more if you have an actual interest in what you are learning :). Unfortunately had to come to an end due to varsity.

Now is the time to get started again, close to setting up a 3' planted FW aquarium Diana Walstad Style. When that is going I will at least have eye candy while I set up a 4' marine tank. I have been doing my rounds on this forum, learning ALOT before I even buy gear.

So, here are my marine aspirations categorized:

Filtration (most important first)

(Just as side note, I am planning to do my sump in multiple plastic crates - the ones on wheels, they will be elevated according to order, first will be highest etc, so that gravity can do its magic. The total "sump" volume is expected to be at least 75% of the DT)

The overflow will be directed to an algae scrubber unit (have seen brilliant ideas) with a bypass for ease of cleaning / clogging. The effect I am hoping for is that the algae on the scrubber will out compete the algae in the DT, as well as keeping PO4 levels at bay. It will also have the side benefit of evaporative cooling (if i choose to leave it open to atmosphere). This unit will be lit by a 4000K energy saving bulb, "micro" algae likes the lower spectrum light it seems.

This will be followed by a compartment containing the protein skimmer. Next up is the DSB consisting of playsand (15cm thick), I will try and maximize the surface area. Macro algae will also be kept in this compartment and will be lit by a 6500K'ish energy saving bulb - it is what most green/brown plants prefer. This compartment will most likely find itself in a large diameter, semi shallow bucket to give the macro algae enough room, but at the same time have just enough flow across the DSB, but not too much as to create an unfavorable environment for the anaerobic bacteria.

Above mentioned compartment will be followed by a compartment containing the heater, return pump, auto top-up unit and other goodies I see fit.

Lighting

I will most likely go the Metal Halide route, I just love the shimmering effect (I do know that I can get it with T5s by adding a single source light source such as a LED, but I do not think it will have such a drastic effect). I will of course have some T5s that will supplement the light wavelengths where the 14 000 K MH will lack. Just figuring out a descent hood design that will lend itself to my ends, might even opt for an expensive combo hood...

Display Tank

As mentioned, the display tank will be a manageable 4' glass tank. I will use "thinish" aragonite substrate to keep nutrient/detritus buildup to a minimum. I will use egg crate and PVC to act as "skeleton" for my reef. As for live rock, I will most likely go for the cured / semi-cured type, but I will break my head about the details of that closer to the time. As for a reef bio-tipe, I have not chosen an eco-system I want to mimic, still looking for descent resources (the free kind, had my fair share of books thank you!).

Constraints

Well, I am currently in Secunda, so the closest shops will be in PTA/JHB. I have also run into a few minor obstacles, such as the availability of DIY resources. No readily available Epoxy paint / resin and stuff like that. But hey, gives me an excuse to goto Jozi aight? It was funny when I phoned Arcona, looking for Alanod, the lady there was so surprised. She asked me where did I hear about them, then I told her about building reflectors for marine tank, the she was like: "Ooohhh, the marine people". I got this huge grin on my face :D

Anyway, I am not trying to set a record for the longest first post on MASA, so I will be concluding. Thank you to all the members, embracing the hungry minds and feeding them and helping this hobby grow in popularity.

Regards,
    Faust

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome !!!

4. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

Now this is an aqaurium im following as long as u take it all slo all should be good.

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome

6. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome to MASA...

7. scubaninja

scubaninja

welcometomasa

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello and Welcome
    Seems you already done some homework...

9. martinkeyser

martinkeyser

Hey there, WELCOME. glad to see there`s more people from secunda interested in this hobby! enjoy

10. schaun

schaun

Now that’s what I call a firs post.
    It seems like you have put in a lot of thought in this.
    Based on your post it seems like you do a lot of reading before you act, this will bring you far and save you lots of pain in the future. I also love reading and studying before doing but then I like following my own head an end up reinventing the wheel.
    I wish you all the luck and looking forward in seeing your progress.
    Post as much photos as possible, even the little things. We LOVE Photos!!!!!

11. Prodigy

Prodigy

welcome to MASA

12. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

13. Tony

Tony

Welcome to MASA

14. inflames

inflames

Welcome to MASA Faust...hope you enjoy your stay and the huge learning curve that awaits you here at MASA...the best on the net! Look forward to step by step photo's of your tank! Remember to come ask those "stupid" questions here 1st...before spending that small fortune that may have been a waist of cash in the end!!

Good luck!

15. mnd123

mnd123

Welcome o Marine Convert

16. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome and glad to see u have researched and have goals, this is the best way mixed with some patience, your tank will be a success

17. FransSny

FransSny

Welcome, seems like you did your homework :thumbup:

18. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA Faust, glad you joined us.

Nice to see guys doing a bit of homework before attempting to keep marines - keep it up man :thumbup:

Good luck with your project and please ask if you need further advice - the guys here are very keen to assist ;)

19. Faust

Faust Thread Starter

Thanks for the great welcome, I know that pictures get you guys all moist :D Will update as it proceeds, availability of time is only limiting factor at this stage, but I will get there ;-)

Representing Secunda on the Marine front y'all <-- German accent

20. werner5

werner5

masahello

21. clintonjay

clintonjay

Eish! Welcome!!

Recent Posts