I freaking hate Eskom!

Well I don't know how it's possible.. Got home, 3 of the boys were lying motionless on the substrate.. Only gills moving and eyes.. That's it.. Thought for sure they are goners.. Man by some miracle, they are all back and swimming and eating.... Wow my boys are strong. I need to make a plan with geny or something soon.. This cold is a killer.

Do you have a back up power plan, it's one of the prerequisites in this hobby? Even if it just powers one flow pump or your return.

Thank you for killing 3 of my fish, possibly more!!!!!!!

If you think about it ,its not really Eishkom's fault if the fish were still in the ocean they who'd be fine ,its up to us as reefers to make sure we give the fish the best possible habitat that includes heating ,oxygen and good quality water which are basics for fish to survive

So what it boils down to make sure you can heat the tank and provide oxygenated water at all times even when the is power cut

It the same in keeping any pet they never asked to be there it up us to provide for them

example having a Cat or Dog you must give them fresh water and provide food for them and give them a warm place to sleep in besides giving them care Keeping fish no different in regards

Last edited:
my solution to load shedding if i cant put the gennie on is a battery operated air pump which gets put on as soon as load shedding strikes, if its a bit cold you can boil some water on a gas stove place it into a sealed 500ml or 1lt plastic bottle, depending on your tank size and let that float in your tank.

my fish and all livestock have been fine for up to 4 hours with no issues with just the battery air-pump turned on.

Generators are great but a mission to turn on if the power goes off at 3AM!!

I have gone over top abit with my load shedding solution

I have 2 deep cycle batterys with a 800W ups running my return and flow pump as well as 2000W ups with 4 deep cycle batteries running the heaters and lighting this is charged with a 6 kva gen set that is linked up to my houses main board

I have a gennie, which runs the whole tank but as @Asheen says, when power goes out at 3am, its abit of a bugger to go and get the gennie started. I alos have a battery power pump and usually put glass over the tank to try retain heat, but I like the idea of putting in a 1l bottle of boiling water... @Asheen, how big is your tank and does that work? I have a 250litre...

Last edited by a moderator:
@Kebab131 haven't used the bottle of boiling water in the summer months, i have a 500ltr system and had load shedding on a Friday night about 2 weeks ago, when the power went out my temp was at 26 and after the power came back 4hrs later my tank was sitting at 24.5 with the bottle of water floating on the surface of my tank.

Just make sure you seal the bottle properly!

Last edited by a moderator:
A bottle of boiling water is actually not doing anything. You will find that the temperature drop without the bottle will be the same. You need a lot of hot water bottles to affect the tank temperature.

I am busy building a fish room,
i have a 650va UPS which timers and dosser will be pluged into so no timing is lost.
i am wiring in a 6.5kva gennie with an ATS which will do its thing after 30 seconds of the power going off.

split my DB in 2, the gennie will run, the fish room, fridges and freezers and basic lighting with TV ETC. Purchased gas stove.

i have spend too many hours watching my tank and hoping that they will survive through the outage.

i am wiring in a 6.5kva gennie with an ATS which will do its thing after 30 seconds of the power going off.

How is the (ATS)Algae Turf Scrubber going to do it's thing after only 30 seconds of the power going off ;)

Please explain for all.

Last edited:
A bottle of boiling water is actually not doing anything. You will find that the temperature drop without the bottle will be the same. You need a lot of hot water bottles to affect the tank temperature.
So besides for power backups, what tricks are available to keep temperature from dropping too low during outages in winter?

How is the (ATS)Algae Turf Scrubber going to do it's thing after only 30 seconds of the power going off ;)

Please explain for all.

Ha Ha, Funny one, its a Auto transfer switch, basically when eishkom fails the gennie starts up automatically, and when the power come back on the gennie will then shut down. this has a 30 second switch over period were the power will go down. That is why a UPS is needed with everything that has a timer so you dont need to sit setting it everytime the power goes down.

Ha Ha, Funny one, its a Auto transfer switch, basically when eishkom fails the gennie starts up automatically, and when the power come back on the gennie will then shut down. this has a 30 second switch over period were the power will go down. That is why a UPS is needed with everything that has a timer so you dont need to sit setting it everytime the power goes down.

:biggrin:

For heat retention.
Can wrap your tank in a blanket.
Keep the doors and windows closed as you do not want drafts around the tank.

Back
Top Bottom