I found a dead fish

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Paul B, 13 Jun 2013.

1. Paul B

Paul B

I was moving around some rocks and corals because one of my shrimp/gobi pairs dug so many tunnels that corals were hitting each other so as I was digging around I found a freshly dead threadfin cardinal like I pictured.
    I never find a dead fish as my fish usually live for years so I was surprised to find this one who was apparently healthy. My tank is 6' long and full of rock and corals so I can't see all the fish every day and I would not notice it missing. Then it dawned on me why it died. This fish was one of five thread fin cardinals I got when they were tiny about the same time maybe 7 months ago. Eventually when they grew, 4 of them paired off and started spawning. This one stayed smaller and now I know why. The paired ones didn't let him eat and they kept chasing him away when I fed the tank. The two mated pairs grew larger and bullied this one to where he had to spend his time sulking in the back of the tank and they would chase him if he ventured out in the open.
    This is the one downfall in having healthy, spawning fish. They don't tolerate or play with others well. I will buy a pair of them to replace him and hopefully they will pair off and be left along by the bullies.
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

I saw the same behavior in my breeding clowns.

They were the only fish plus 4 chromis. When the clowns started laying eggs the killed off the chromis 1 by 1

4. Dorry

Dorry dorry

My chromis fish same behavior 2 pairs and the tiny but heathy one. He is eating but stay small because of the other pair off.

5. seank

seank

Had/have same problem with 3 clowns

6. Strandlooper

Strandlooper

I have the same problem with my common clowns. I was advised from day one at my LFS to always buy these kind of fish in odd numbers so I bought 5. One of them Is being bullied by the other 4 he Is half their size but still eating well. Even with my upgrade of tank they are still bullying him, can't believe how ugly they are to him sometimes.

7. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

Hard to get a picture of these guys
    [​IMG]

Recent Posts