I feel so bad....;-(

Reaction score
Hi,
Have anyone of you being in the following situation:
It’s your birthday, and your friends know that you just absolutely love fish, and that you only have a couple of fish in your tank, and that you're saving for more fish.....
So they've decided to do me a favour - they've decided to expand my fish population - with a yellow tail damsel......
Look it's not that that I’m looking down on their present, but it's just I don't want a damsel in my tank!!! I really do appreciate the idea!!!!

(Now this is the part where I feel bad) So I've decided to switch the damsel for something else. (fire gobies)

So last night they've asked me - "so how do you like your present...? how's the fish doing?, ext ext ext..... I couldn't get it over my hart to tell them that I’ve switched the fish for something else....
Needless to say - I’ve gone and fetched the damsel again......

So I was thinking - was any of you in the same situation before?

Buy them a Goldfish Bowl with 02 small Kois for their birthday, see after a couple of weeks how they feel, or a lovebird that squeels a lot

dude. change the fish! i know you'll feel bad. but just make something up saying that its not reef safe or will get to big for your tank etc...
i got an issue cos my gf bought me a small sailfin tang. it is a beautiful fish! but i dont think she realises how big they get. and my tank is only 1m long. not good for this poor fish! i told her it will have to go eventually. (even after it got named after her...)

Shame Raven.... no.... cannot say that I have ever been in this situation before. My friends/family don't buy me fish... I have to do all this myself....BUT - perhaps you should just nicely explain the situation to them that the fish they got you end up terrorizing the other fish, and possibly eventually killing the fish. They will then feel bad and ask you next time what fish to get you....

Raven, wait before you do anything drastic, out of all the damsels, this is the most calm and if you keep with bigger fish, he won't get out of hand.

This is from my personal experience and I have had some evil damsels

Just say to your friends that some of the fish cannot be housed together due to temperament, different needs, climates etc, then explain that the damsel was in danger and had to go, but you swapped it for a really pretty fishy etc.

Warr is right, any damsel can be controlled with bigger fish. Just make sure u have one. a Tang or Butterfly should be able to keep such a fish in line. I know this from reading and also from the fact my brother has a Longnose Butterfly which keeps his damsel in check from harrasing his cardinal fish.

Thanks guys!
I have another problemo.....
Someone was so kind to bring me a foxface....VERY beautiful, BUT I don't have any knowledge on what to feed it, how to keep him happy ext....
don't worry - i've also told EVERYONEEEEEEEE that my tank is overstocked, and that i can't get any new fish!!!
Please help with the foxface..

Loads of turbulent flow, loads of nori, hiding places and nice swimming areas

Hi Raven just keep your Foxy well fed or it could develop a appetite for coral polyps! Be wary anyways as it's reef compatibility is 50/50, lovely fish though!!

Check the link in my sig for places to get nori, pretty much anywhere...

Back
Top Bottom