I dont get it.... Yet....

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by Garethmur, 15 Jan 2010.

1. Garethmur

Garethmur

Hi All,

really sorry if this is a stupid Q...
    I got as stated in the new members forum, a Jebo thingy...
    I thought that it was supposed to suck air in with the water pump....

I connected the water pump to B and let D flow to my DSB chamber... I assume that C is to set the thing...
    It came with a pipe i assume goes on A, and from the pictures i have seen of other skimmers its kept up high("to suck in air right") mine is blowing water out ?What did I do wrong oaks? :cursing:

NO BUBBLES .... JUST WATER....:(

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Eish Gareth. Sorry to say this mate. The Jebo is a placebo. Not a really decent mechanical filtration system.

You would be better off with DIY'ing your own skimmer, or if you can (first prize) would be to go for a needle wheel type skimmer (like the ReefTek/ReefOctopus ranges)....

You are unfortunately wasting your time with this skimmer.

If you don't have the money now, rather try and get a WeiPro or even Via Aqua skimmers......... (not really great by any standards, but far better than the Jebo)....

The idea, is that there should be an air inlet valve, after the outlet of the supply pump, which in turn, as it forces the water through the venturi air inlet, also sucks in air together with the water being forced through a smaller diameter pipe......

4. Garethmur

Garethmur Thread Starter

Hi, I have already heard that its a piece of **** but though that it would atleast work....
    I have already decided to build one from scratch but dont know if I understand the workings correctly....

As i understand it so far, the main thing is to have bubbles mix with the water where the bubbles float to the collection cup with the ****..... if that is it, would the follwing work if i add a air stone in it?
    [​IMG]

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Yes, it would work. But not the "Standard" airstones. You will need to get a wooden airstone. The wooden airstones make far finer air bubbles, and sometimes the wooden airstones clogg up as well.....

6. Pads

Pads

Hey Gareth

I've got one of these and to be honest it has done the job for me in the last 18months. I can't emphasize the importance of biological filtration. IMO the live rock I've got has helped keep my tank more stable than the skimmer. But you have to keep your bio load down.

To help with the skimmer. The connection A is for the air inlet. Mine has worked fine but if I think about it the pressure of the water in the skimmer chamber may be to high or the pump speed too slow thus the water is forced up the air inlet instead of past venturi. Possibly change the height of the skimmer in the sump itself. This skimmer as with most need a little fine tuning. ;)

7. Garethmur

Garethmur Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the help, but got another Q if you please...
    I have seen somethings about recirculating pumps on the skimmer, is that all it does is recirculate the water already in the skimmer? and does this improve performance?

sorry bout the overkill on mspaint, find it easier to show my meaning...[​IMG]

8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Sounds like you've got the venturi (part A in your drawing) the wrong way round, it should be cut at about a 45 degree angle and the cut away part should be facing the skimmer. Turn it around if you can.

9. Garethmur

Garethmur Thread Starter

What thinks Use?

Hi again, thanks for the info thus far...

I eventually got that crappy jebo thing to work, just had to play with it a lil...

but would like some opinions on the following design for a skimmer?

What due think?
    Looking at it now, I think i should adjust the height of the spinner so that the input flow hits the bottom wheel thingy?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Recent Posts